What is the identity for coplanar, non-collinear vectors?

• Thread starter atavistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation discusses an identity involving coplanar, non-collinear vectors and the relationship between their coefficients. The correct statement is that if a, b, and c are not coplanar, then the sum of their coefficients will equal zero. There is also a mention of the dot product and cross product in relation to coplanar vectors.
atavistic
I kinda remember some identity which goes as follows:

If [tex]a,b,c[/tex] are coplanar, non collinear vectors then

[tex]\alpha a + \beta b + \gamma c = 0[/tex]
=> [tex]\alpha + \beta + \gamma = 0[/tex]

or something like this. Can someone help me remember.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Well, this isn't quite correct.

If a, b, and c are three coplanar vectors, they are for sure linearly dependent in the plane, since, if a, b are two non colinear non zero vectors in a plane, they form a basis, i.e. [tex]\alpha a + \beta b = 0[/tex] => [tex]\alpha = \beta = 0[/tex]. Every third vector can be representet uniquely as a linear combination of the basis vectors a and b.

atavistic said:

You need to replace "a, b, and c are coplanar" by "a, b, and c are NOT coplanar".

radou said:
Well, this isn't quite correct.

If a, b, and c are three coplanar vectors, they are for sure linearly dependent in the plane, since, if a, b are two non colinear non zero vectors in a plane, they form a basis, i.e. [tex]\alpha a + \beta b = 0[/tex] => [tex]\alpha = \beta = 0[/tex]. Every third vector can be representet uniquely as a linear combination of the basis vectors a and b.

Also for coplanar vectors
[tex]a\cdot(b\times c)= 0[/tex]

I am sorry but I really mean [tex]\alpha + \beta + \gamma = 0[/tex] and not [tex]\alpha = \beta =\gamma = 0[/tex]

atavistic said:
I am sorry but I really mean [tex]\alpha + \beta + \gamma = 0[/tex] and not [tex]\alpha = \beta =\gamma = 0[/tex]

Well, if [tex]\alpha = \beta =\gamma = 0[/tex], then most certainly [tex]\alpha + \beta + \gamma = 0[/tex]. :wink:

atavistic said:

mathman said:
You need to replace "a, b, and c are coplanar" by "a, b, and c are NOT coplanar".
No, if they were not coplanar, that statement would not be true.

HallsofIvy said:
No, if they were not coplanar, that statement would not be true.

In his original statement he had all coef = 0, not the sum. Obviously changing the question would usually lead to a change in the response.

Oh, thanks. I hate it when people edit their post after there have been responses!

1. What are non-collinear vectors?

Non-collinear vectors are vectors that do not lie on the same line or are not parallel to each other. They have different directions and can be represented by arrows in different directions.

2. How are non-collinear vectors represented?

Non-collinear vectors are represented by arrows that have a starting point and a direction. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector.

3. What is the difference between collinear and non-collinear vectors?

The main difference between collinear and non-collinear vectors is that collinear vectors lie on the same line and have the same or opposite directions, while non-collinear vectors do not lie on the same line and have different directions.

4. How do you find the magnitude of a non-collinear vector?

The magnitude of a non-collinear vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. The magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the components of the vector.

5. Can non-collinear vectors be added or subtracted?

Yes, non-collinear vectors can be added or subtracted using the parallelogram law of vector addition. This involves drawing a parallelogram using the two vectors and the diagonal of the parallelogram represents the resultant vector.