What are some examples of non-commutating observables in quantum mechanics?

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    observables
In summary, the Wikipedia article on uncertainty provides four examples of uncertainty relationships between observables. Non-commuting observables can only be characterized by a state-independent value for the expectation value of their operator, ħ/2.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
The Wikipedia entry on uncertainty says, "Since the Robertson and Schrödinger relations are for general operators, the relations can be applied to any two observables to obtain specific uncertainty relations. A few of the most common relations found in the literature are given below."

It then continues with examples, linear momentum-position, angular momentum orthogonal components, energy-time, the number of electrons in a superconductor and the phase of its Ginzburg–Landau order parameter.

I'm curious about other pairs of observables that don't commute. Can someone point me towards a more complete list?

Physics news on Phys.org
Non-commuting observables are the usual case, not the exception.

Usually, you look for a complete set of commuting observables which suits your problem. All other observables then are non-commuting with at least one observable from your set.

Likes 1 person
Thank you kith. But I meant non-commuting, i.e. those which can not be measured simultaneously and thus subject to uncertainty. Another way to phrase it is: what other uncertainty relationships exist between observables beyond the four mentioned in the Wikipedia article?

The uncertainty principle for two observables A and B is ΔAΔB ≥ |<C>| with C = [A,B]. You cannot expect |<C>| to yield a general value like ħ/2 for arbitrary non-commuting A and B because it is the expectation value of the operator C and thus depends on the state of the system.

A state-independent value libe ħ/2 can be given only in the case of conjugated variables like position and momentum because there, C is proportional to the identity operator, so its expectation value doesn't depend on the state.

So your question can be rephrased to what kinds of conjugated variables exist.

Likes 1 person
Thank you kith for helping me phrase the question correctly.

So, where ca I find a more complete list of conjugated variables?

anorlunda said:
So, where ca I find a more complete list of conjugated variables?
I don't know of a complete list. This is essentially a question about classical Hamiltonian mechanics. Do you know what conjugated variables are?

Conjugate variables are Fourier transform duals. I see now why my question should not be under quantum physics. It can be answered with Fourier analysis of classical variables.

But thanks again, double checking Wikipedia on conjugate variables led me to an article with a more complete list of examples. That's what I was seeking in the OP, so thanks again; question answered.

What are non commutating observables?

Non commutating observables are physical quantities in quantum mechanics that do not commute, meaning the order in which they are measured affects the outcome. This is in contrast to classical mechanics where all observables commute.

Why are non commutating observables important?

Non commutating observables are important because they provide a way to understand and describe quantum systems. They also play a crucial role in determining the uncertainty in measurements of quantum systems.

How do non commutating observables relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that the more precisely one observable is measured, the less precisely the other observable can be measured. This is due to the non commutativity of observables in quantum mechanics.

What are some examples of non commutating observables?

Position and momentum, energy and time, and angular momentum components are all examples of non commutating observables. These pairs of observables have non-zero commutators, meaning their measurement order affects the outcome.

How are non commutating observables represented mathematically?

In quantum mechanics, non commutating observables are represented by operators. These operators do not commute, and their commutator is used to calculate the uncertainty between the observables.