Non-Commutative Nature of QM

• Thread starter mysearch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nature Qm
In summary, the conversation discussed the fundamental concepts of non-commutative operators and their implications in quantum mechanics. The Heisenberg Uncertainty principle was highlighted as a key issue, described in mathematical terms through the non-commutative nature of position and momentum operators. The conversation also touched upon the differentiation product rule and the relationship between operators and the quantization concept. The question of whether the wave nature is more fundamental in describing quantum particles and an alternative approach to the non-commutative result were also raised.
mysearch
Gold Member
Hi,
I am trying to get a few fundamental concepts sorted out in my mind associated with the maths of non-commutative operators and the physical implications on QM. As such, I am simply looking for confirmation, clarification or corrections to any of the following issues.

One of the most fundamental issues in QM appears to be the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle (HUP). In mathematical terms this often seems to be described in terms of the non-commutative nature of position [x] and momentum [p]. However, before addressing this specific case, I wanted to first confirm my ‘basic’ understanding of operators in a generic example, where [A] and are both operators, while [Q] is some quantity on which they operate:

[1] [itex]\hat A = x[/itex]; [itex]\hat B = \frac {d}{dx}[/itex];

[itex] \left[ \hat A, \hat B \right]Q = \hat A \left (\hat B Q \right) = x \frac {dQ}{dx} = xQ’[/itex]

[itex] \left[ \hat B, \hat A \right]Q = \hat B \left (\hat A Q \right) = \frac {d(xQ)}{dx} = x \frac {dQ}{dx} + Q \frac {dx}{dx} = xQ’ + Q [/itex]

The operators work from left to right, such that the result of [A,B]Q is different from [B,A]Q as [1] tries to illustrate. It is also highlighted that the expansion of the [B,A] case, in [1], is linked to the differentiation product rule:

[2] [itex] \frac {d(uv)}{dx} = u \frac {dv}{dx} + v \frac {du}{dx} [/itex]

[itex] \frac {d(xQ)}{dx} = x \frac {dQ}{dx} + Q \frac {dx}{dx} [/itex]

If we now use the normal non-commutative expansion, we get a non-zero result:

[3] [itex] \left[ \hat A, \hat B \right]Q = \left [AB – BA \right]Q = x \frac {dQ}{dx} - \left( \frac {d(xQ)}{dx} \right) [/itex]

[itex] = x \frac {dQ}{dx} - \left(x \frac {dQ}{dx} + Q \frac {dx}{dx} \right) = -Q [/itex]

What [1,2,3] seems to illustrate is that the non-commutative property stems from operator being defined in terms of a first derivative, which in itself has nothing to do with quantum mechanics, i.e. the idea of quantization. Of course, the idea of non-commutative operators seem to be important to QM, because the momentum operator [p] can be described in terms of [d/dx], if we derive its form from a wave function, e.g.

[4] [itex] \psi = e^{ 2 \pi i \left ( \frac {x}{\lambda} - \omega t \right)} = e^{ i \left( \kappa x - \omega t \right)} = e^{ \frac {i}{\hbar} \left( px - Et \right) } [/itex]

[itex] \frac {\partial \psi}{\partial x} = \frac {ip}{\hbar} e^{ \frac {i}{\hbar} \left( px - Et \right) } = \frac {ip}{\hbar} \psi [/itex]

[itex] \hat p = \frac {1}{i} \hbar \frac {\partial }{\partial x} = -i \hbar \frac {\partial }{\partial x} [/itex]

Therefore, if we replace [A,B]Q for [x,p]Ψ in [1,2,3] we get:

[5] [itex] \left[ \hat x, \hat p \right] \psi = \left [xp – px \right]\psi = x \left( -i \hbar \frac {\partial}{ \partial x} \right) \psi - \left( -i \hbar \frac {\partial}{ \partial x} \right) x\psi [/itex]

[itex] = x \left( -i \hbar \right) \frac {\partial \psi}{ \partial x} - \left( -i \hbar \right) \left( x \frac {\partial \psi}{ \partial x} + \psi \frac {\partial x}{\partial x} \right) = -i \hbar \psi[/itex]

[itex] \left[ \hat x, \hat p \right] = i \hbar [/itex]

So my first real question is whether the logic above is basically correct? My next question then relates to the wave-particle duality issues. The reason we appear to end up with the non-commutative result in [5] seems to be predicated on the wave nature defined in [4]? As such, is the wave nature fundamentally more descriptive of the ‘true’ nature of quantum ‘particles’? Is there an equivalent approach that can come to the same non-commutative result without any wave assumption? For example, it is assumed that Heisenberg came to his conclusion about HUP based on his own matrix formulation, however I don’t really know if this approach still has a basic wave assumption built into the matrix formulation? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
mysearch said:
I I wanted to first confirm my ‘basic’ understanding of operators in a generic example, where [A] and are both operators, while [Q] is some quantity on which they operate:

[1] [itex]\hat A = x[/itex]; [itex]\hat B = \frac {d}{dx}[/itex];

[itex] \left[ \hat A, \hat B \right]Q = \hat A \left (\hat B Q \right) = x \frac {dQ}{dx} = xQ’[/itex]

So my first real question is whether the logic above is basically correct?

Your notation is somewhat strange. You should use [tex]\psi[/tex] in placce of Q which is the standard typographical distinction in QM for wave functions your operators act on. And you should write [tex](AB)\psi=A(b\psi)[/tex] and not use $[A,B]$ as the latter denotes a commutator and means AB-BA. This will improve communication with the rest of the world.

1. What is the non-commutative nature of quantum mechanics?

The non-commutative nature of quantum mechanics refers to the fact that certain physical properties of quantum systems, such as position and momentum, cannot be measured simultaneously with arbitrary precision. This is in contrast to classical mechanics, where the values of all physical properties can be known with certainty at any given time.

2. Why is it important to understand the non-commutative nature of quantum mechanics?

Understanding the non-commutative nature of quantum mechanics is important because it helps us to better understand the fundamental principles and behavior of the quantum world. It also has practical implications in fields such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.

3. How does the non-commutative nature of quantum mechanics affect our everyday lives?

The non-commutative nature of quantum mechanics may not have a direct impact on our everyday lives, as most objects and events in our macroscopic world are governed by classical mechanics. However, it plays a crucial role in the behavior of subatomic particles and has led to important technological advancements in fields such as electronics and telecommunications.

4. Can the non-commutative nature of quantum mechanics be observed or tested?

Yes, the non-commutative nature of quantum mechanics can be observed and tested through experiments and measurements. For example, the famous double-slit experiment demonstrates the wave-particle duality of subatomic particles and the uncertainty principle, which are both consequences of the non-commutative nature of quantum mechanics.

5. How does the non-commutative nature of quantum mechanics relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle is a direct consequence of the non-commutative nature of quantum mechanics. It states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. This is because the operators representing these properties do not commute, and therefore cannot be simultaneously measured with arbitrary precision.