Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-commutative Phase space

1. Sep 10, 2008 #1
    the question is if we have a classical phase space (p,q) the idea is using Heisenberg's uncertainty could we generalize the usual 'geometry' to a non-commutative phase space ?

for example we could impose the conditions [tex] [ x_i , x_j ]= iL_p \hbar [/tex]

where L_p means Planck's Energy scale and the same for the momentum [tex] [ p_i , p_j ]= iL_p \hbar [/tex].

if someone could provide a good and comprehensible introduction to Non-commutative geometry book and how is used in physics (with examples) thanks a lot.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

Hmmm, I'm not quite sure what you're asking. If it's about Alain Connes's stuff, I know nothing about it. As for normal quantum mechanics, the state space is usually the Hibert Space spanned by the eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian. The closest thing to classical phase space is the Wigner distribution.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?