Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-compact form of an algebra.

1. Jul 2, 2013 #1
    I read that in string theory the Virasoro algebra contains an ##SL(2,R)## subalgebra that is generated by ##L_{-1}, L_{0}, L_{1}##. I read that this is the non-compact form of the ##SU(2)## algebra. Also, that as ##SU(2)## and ##SO(3)## have the same Lie algebra, so do ##SL(2,R)## and ##SO(2,1)##.

Can someone explain all the above statementes? I understand what a compact group is and I have seen that ##SU(2)## and ##SO(3)## have the same Lie algebra. But, what do the other statements mean?

Can you also give a more intuitive explanation?

Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2013 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's intuitive to one person might not be to another.

To obtain a "non-compact form" of a Lie algebra, you multiply some of the generators by ##i##. So if ##X_1, X_2, X_3## have the ##SU(2)## algebra

[tex][X_1, X_2] = X_3, \qquad [X_2, X_3] = X_1, \qquad [X_3, X_1] = X_2,[/tex]
    then the new set of generators given by

[tex]\tilde X_1 \equiv i X_1, \qquad \tilde X_2 \equiv i X_2, \qquad \tilde X_3 \equiv X_3[/tex]
    will have the algebra

[tex][\tilde X_1, \tilde X_2] = -\tilde X_3, \qquad [\tilde X_2, \tilde X_3] = \tilde X_1, \qquad [\tilde X_3, \tilde X_1] = \tilde X_2,[/tex]

which is the algebra of ##SL(2,\mathbb{R})##.

A Lie group is "compact" or "non-compact" depending on the eigenvalues of its Cartan-Killing form. If all the eigenvalues are negative, then the group is compact. If some of the eigenvalues are positive, then the group is non-compact. The Killing form of ##SL(2, \mathbb{R})## has signature ##(+, +, -)##, and it has the topology ##R^2 \times S^1##, so you see there are two noncompact directions, and one compact, matching the signs in the Killing form.

Both ##SU(2)## and ##SL(2,\mathbb{R})## algebras are subalgebras of ##SL(2, \mathbb{C})##, which is simply

[tex][X_i, X_j] = \varepsilon_{ijk} X_k,[/tex]
    except that we allow complex linear combinations of the generators.

4. Jul 2, 2013 #3
    would it be possible to talk a bit more about the second part, the compactness or non-compactness of a Lie group?

In any case thank you very much.

5. Jul 2, 2013 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ben nicely touched the compactness of a Lie group from the compactness of its Lie algebra. But a group is a topological space on its own, so its compactness is defined in terms of open sets, open covers and subcovers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook