Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-Conductive Material

1. May 25, 2016 #1
    I'm looking for a non-conductive material that can withstand pressures up to 35 MPa or about 5000 psi. It has to be in sheet form so I can layer on some electrical components I have.

This may be a simple answer, but any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. May 25, 2016 #3

rbelli1

Gold Member

Will one side be exposed to a lower pressure? It would be easier to use some standard pressure vessel component and mount the insulating layer to that. Is that an option?

BoB

5. May 27, 2016 #4
    Whats your opinion on the tufnol 1P/13

--http://[URL="http://www.tufnol.com/materials-full/paper-laminates/tufnol-grade-1p-13.aspx"]www.tufnol.com/materials-full/paper-laminates/tufnol-grade-1p-13.aspx[/URL] [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. May 27, 2016 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Generally not as good as the other ones for more demanding engineering applications .

Tell me a bit more about what you need this material for and I can probably give a more detailed answer .

7. May 27, 2016 #6
    I'm looking to layer it on various various piezoelectric components. I'm testing these piezo components with an electro mechanical testing system but the "sheets" i lay on the top/bottom of these components cannot be conductive and withstand large forces (up to 10kN) at various frequencies

8. May 27, 2016 #7

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. May 27, 2016 #8
    Looking like the best choice as well. Do you recommend any US websites you can buy it from?

10. May 27, 2016 #9

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Jun 1, 2016 #10

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Is the 35MPa hydrostatic pressure or the axial pressure applied to a stack of components in a press ? If it is in a press then preventing extrusion of the sheet may be a problem.

You might also consider testing pairs of piezoelectric components in opposition. That would electrically ground the outside of both units. In the same way a ceramic plate or a disconnected piezo element could be used as an insulator.

Do you need to consider acoustic impedance matching in the choice of material ?

12. Jun 1, 2016 #11
    Its axial pressure by a press and no need to consider acoustic impedance. I think the suggestion for Tufnol is the best. What is your opinion on the material?

13. Jun 1, 2016 #12

Baluncore

Science Advisor

I would be concerned by moisture absorption into fibres at the cut edge. All polymers and fillers absorb some moisture over time. When pressure is applied the absorbed water may move to the cut edge. That may change the electrical conductivity across the sheet. Depending on formulation and environment it may be necessary to treat the cut edge or replace the material on a regular basis.

14. Jun 23, 2017 #13
    Little late:
    I'll say that a sheet of glass is the simplest solution. Up to 100 MPa, and cheap!
    The "tempered glass" protector for phone screens is thin and should fit well

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted