Find a Strong and Non-Conductive Material for High Pressure Applications

• Thread starter tbader
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, I'm looking for a non-conductive material that can withstand pressures up to 35 MPa or about 5000 psi. It has to be in sheet form so I can layer on some electrical components I have. The best option I've found so far is the Tufnol 2F/14.
tbader
I'm looking for a non-conductive material that can withstand pressures up to 35 MPa or about 5000 psi. It has to be in sheet form so I can layer on some electrical components I have.

This may be a simple answer, but any help is appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Will one side be exposed to a lower pressure? It would be easier to use some standard pressure vessel component and mount the insulating layer to that. Is that an option?

BoB

Nidum said:
Whats your opinion on the tufnol 1P/13

--http://[URL="http://www.tufnol.com/materials-full/paper-laminates/tufnol-grade-1p-13.aspx"]www.tufnol.com/materials-full/paper-laminates/tufnol-grade-1p-13.aspx[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally not as good as the other ones for more demanding engineering applications .

Tell me a bit more about what you need this material for and I can probably give a more detailed answer .

Nidum said:
Generally not as good as the other ones for more demanding engineering applications .

Tell me a bit more about what you need this material for and I can probably give a more detailed answer .
I'm looking to layer it on various various piezoelectric components. I'm testing these piezo components with an electro mechanical testing system but the "sheets" i lay on the top/bottom of these components cannot be conductive and withstand large forces (up to 10kN) at various frequencies

Looking like the best choice as well. Do you recommend any US websites you can buy it from?

tbader said:
I'm looking for a non-conductive material that can withstand pressures up to 35 MPa or about 5000 psi.
Is the 35MPa hydrostatic pressure or the axial pressure applied to a stack of components in a press ? If it is in a press then preventing extrusion of the sheet may be a problem.

You might also consider testing pairs of piezoelectric components in opposition. That would electrically ground the outside of both units. In the same way a ceramic plate or a disconnected piezo element could be used as an insulator.

Do you need to consider acoustic impedance matching in the choice of material ?

Baluncore said:
Is the 35MPa hydrostatic pressure or the axial pressure applied to a stack of components in a press ? If it is in a press then preventing extrusion of the sheet may be a problem.

You might also consider testing pairs of piezoelectric components in opposition. That would electrically ground the outside of both units. In the same way a ceramic plate or a disconnected piezo element could be used as an insulator.

Do you need to consider acoustic impedance matching in the choice of material ?
Its axial pressure by a press and no need to consider acoustic impedance. I think the suggestion for Tufnol is the best. What is your opinion on the material?

I would be concerned by moisture absorption into fibres at the cut edge. All polymers and fillers absorb some moisture over time. When pressure is applied the absorbed water may move to the cut edge. That may change the electrical conductivity across the sheet. Depending on formulation and environment it may be necessary to treat the cut edge or replace the material on a regular basis.

Little late:
I'll say that a sheet of glass is the simplest solution. Up to 100 MPa, and cheap!
The "tempered glass" protector for phone screens is thin and should fit well

What is non-conductive material?

Non-conductive material is a material that does not easily allow the flow of electricity. This means that it does not conduct electricity and is often used as an insulator to prevent electric shocks or short circuits.

What are some examples of non-conductive materials?

Some examples of non-conductive materials include rubber, plastic, glass, and wood. These materials have high resistance to electricity and are commonly used in electrical equipment and wiring.

How does non-conductive material differ from conductive material?

Non-conductive materials have high resistance to electricity and do not allow the flow of electrons, while conductive materials have low resistance and easily allow the flow of electrons. This means that conductive materials are used to conduct electricity, while non-conductive materials are used as insulators.

Why is non-conductive material important in electrical safety?

Non-conductive materials are important in electrical safety because they prevent electric shocks and short circuits. For example, a rubber coating on electrical wires acts as an insulator to prevent people from getting electrocuted when handling the wires.

Can non-conductive material become conductive?

In some cases, non-conductive material can become conductive. This can happen if the material is damaged or exposed to extreme temperatures or chemicals, which can alter its properties and allow the flow of electricity. It is important to regularly check and maintain non-conductive materials to ensure their safety and effectiveness.