Non-conductor made antenna?

In summary, a non-conductor made antenna is an antenna that does not conduct electricity. These types of antennas are typically made from materials such as plastic, rubber, or wood and are commonly used in radio and television broadcasting. Non-conductor made antennas are preferred over metal antennas in certain situations, such as in areas with high wind or lightning activity, as they are less likely to attract electricity and cause damage. They also have the advantage of being lightweight and easy to install. However, they may not be as efficient in transmitting and receiving signals as metal antennas.
qnach
Could an antenna made from a non-conductor or a poor conductor?

Physics news on Phys.org
qnach said:
What is your background in antennas?

Having asked that, I have looked a bit into ways to try to make a hybrid optical/EM antenna, but am still working on that.

What is your application?

berkeman said:
What is your background in antennas?

Having asked that, I have looked a bit into ways to try to make a hybrid optical/EM antenna, but am still working on that.

What is your application?

to receive solar energy

qnach said:
to receive solar energy

You really should get into the habit of posting a more elaborate question, especially with a bit of reasoning thrown into describe why you are seeking such a thing.

For example:

1. If all you want is to "receive solar energy", why are you opting for an antenna?

2. If all you want is to "receive solar energy", why does the antenna need to be a "a non-conductor or a poor conductor"?

3. What exactly is this "solar energy" that you want? It is a rather broad EM spectrum. Are you hoping to collect ALL of it, even the UV and IR?

Zz.

qnach said:
Yes. A dielectric lens could be used to focus EM energy onto a semiconductor mixer or ferrite rotator.
You do need to be much more specific with your question if you actually want a useful answer.

Baluncore said:
Yes. A dielectric lens could be used to focus EM energy onto a semiconductor mixer or ferrite rotator.
You do need to be much more specific with your question if you actually want a useful answer.

LENS? focus energy into a mixer? ferrite rotator?!
Could you be more elaborate or give some examples, or URL?

ZapperZ said:
You really should get into the habit of posting a more elaborate question, especially with a bit of reasoning thrown into describe why you are seeking such a thing.

For example:

1. If all you want is to "receive solar energy", why are you opting for an antenna?

2. If all you want is to "receive solar energy", why does the antenna need to be a "a non-conductor or a poor conductor"?

3. What exactly is this "solar energy" that you want? It is a rather broad EM spectrum. Are you hoping to collect ALL of it, even the UV and IR?

Zz.

Solar energy is a kind of EM waves...so I am using antenna to receive it!

Baluncore know what I am talking about. He has answered several of my questions with great idea.

qnach said:
Solar energy is a kind of EM waves...so I am using antenna to receive it!
Search on Rectenna...

qnach said:
Could you be more elaborate or give some examples, or URL?
Not until you identify the wavelength range of the proposed antenna, and explain what you are really trying to do.

Baluncore said:
Not until you identify the wavelength range of the proposed antenna, and explain what you are really trying to do.
about 800 nm to receive sun light

qnach said:
about 800 nm to receive sun light
Did you do the search I asked for?

berkeman said:
Did you do the search I asked for?
it is not on the topic I asked.

qnach said:
The less you specify your goals, the broader the answers.
Baluncore said:
And this one is on topic. The more as you didn't answer:
ZapperZ said:

For 800 nm, look for a molecule that can be activated by a photon with an energy of 1.55 eV.

Baluncore said:
For 800 nm, look for a molecule that can be activated by a photon with an energy of 1.55 eV.
what is that? You told me there are lens? antenna? mixer? ferrite rotator?
What kind of frequency do they use?

qnach said:
You told me there are lens? antenna? mixer? ferrite rotator?
That was before you released the critical wavelength information.
qnach said:
What kind of frequency do they use?
Microwave frequencies.

Baluncore said:
That was before you released the critical wavelength information.

Microwave frequencies.
tell me more on microwave region...

Baluncore said:

An antenna can collect energy from the whole space while a molecule can only be excited if the light shine directly on it.
I want an antenna.

A metal half-wave dipole antenna would only be 400 nm long so it would have a capture area of about 10-12 m2.
You need an array of molecules like an algal-film or a leaf.

You would cook a non-metalic antenna in sunlight if you used a parabolic reflector or a lens.

qnach said:
to receive solar energy
What do you want to do with the energy, that cannot be done with a common photovoltaic panel ("solar panel")?

qnach said:
It is definitely on-topic if you are wanting to receive light energy with antennas.

Please be much more specific about what you are asking, or this thread will be closed. You are wasting our time with your obtuse and changing questions...

Baluncore said:
A metal half-wave dipole antenna would only be 400 nm long so it would have a capture area of about 10-12 m2.
You need an array of molecules like an algal-film or a leaf.

You would cook a non-metalic antenna in sunlight if you used a parabolic reflector or a lens.

O.K. let's switch to 1 cm wave.

berkeman said:
It is definitely on-topic if you are wanting to receive light energy with antennas.

Please be much more specific about what you are asking, or this thread will be closed. You are wasting our time with your obtuse and changing questions...
qnach said:
O.K. let's switch to 1 cm wave.
Thread is locked until @qnach sends me a PM explaining in detail what they are asking about.

Likes mheslep and Vanadium 50

1. What is a non-conductor made antenna?

A non-conductor made antenna is an antenna that is made from materials that do not conduct electricity, such as plastic, wood, or ceramic. This type of antenna is used in situations where metal antennas may interfere with the surrounding environment or cause safety hazards.

2. How does a non-conductor made antenna work?

Like all antennas, a non-conductor made antenna works by converting electrical energy into electromagnetic waves, which can then be transmitted or received. The non-conductive material used in the antenna does not affect this process, but it is designed to reduce interference and provide a safer alternative to metal antennas.

3. What are the benefits of using a non-conductor made antenna?

The main benefit of using a non-conductor made antenna is its ability to reduce interference with the surrounding environment. This is particularly useful in sensitive areas such as hospitals, airports, and military installations. Non-conductive antennas are also safer to use in situations where there is a risk of electrical shocks or arcing.

4. Are there any limitations to using a non-conductor made antenna?

One limitation of non-conductor made antennas is their lower conductivity compared to metal antennas. This can result in a decrease in the antenna's efficiency and range. Additionally, non-conductive materials may not be suitable for use in all weather conditions, so the antenna's performance may be affected in extreme temperatures or humidity.

5. How do I choose the right non-conductor made antenna for my application?

When choosing a non-conductor made antenna, it is important to consider the specific requirements of your application. Factors such as the frequency range, power handling capabilities, and weather resistance should be taken into account. It is also important to select an antenna from a reputable manufacturer to ensure quality and performance.