Can a Non-Conformal Unitary Mapping Solve This Homework Statement?

• Thread starter Kreizhn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mapping
In summary, the problem statement is correct, but it is not possible to create a unitary map that preserves the inner product between |+\rangle and |-\rangle.
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

I need to find a unitary operator that can map two (two-dimensional) pure states [itex] |+\rangle, |-\rangle [/itex] as follows:
[tex] |+\rangle \to \cos\theta |+\rangle + \sin\theta |-\rangle [/tex]
[tex] |-\rangle \to \sin\theta |+\rangle + \cos\theta |- \rangle [/tex]
For an arbitrary angle [itex] 0 \leq \theta \leq \frac\pi4 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first obvious attempt at a solution is to simply create a linear system of equations for an element of [itex] U(2) [/itex], and solve, which gives
[tex] \begin{pmatrix} \cos\theta & \sin\theta \\ \sin\theta & \cos\theta \end{pmatrix} [/tex]
However, this is obviously not unitary. Since I know that unitary mappings are not forced to be conformal, I think the mapping does exist, but am unsure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kreizhn said:

Homework Statement

I need to find a unitary operator that can map two (two-dimensional) pure states [itex] |+\rangle, |-\rangle [/itex] as follows:
[tex] |+\rangle \to \cos\theta |+\rangle + \sin\theta |-\rangle [/tex]
[tex] |-\rangle \to \sin\theta |+\rangle + \cos\theta |- \rangle [/tex]
For an arbitrary angle [itex] 0 \leq \theta \leq \frac\pi4 [/itex]

Are you sure the second term with a cos theta should not be negative? That's what is usually used, so that the kets in the new basis are still orthonormal (assuming that [tex] |+ \rangle [/tex] and [tex] |- \rangle [/tex] form an orthonormal basis)

I had originally thought that myself, and so double checked before posting. According to the text I am using (and the associated diagram), the problem statement is correct.

It's not possible. The original states are orthogonal, and the transformed states are not, but unitary transformations preserve inner products.

I never said that the original two states were orthogonal. I realize that by using the +/- notation you may have assumed as such (as I realize they are commonly used to represent an orthonormal basis), but they needn't be for the purpose of this discussion.

I'm not sure if it helps at all, but the value of theta isn't entirely arbitrary. I said so originally to see if it could be done in general. For my purpose, theta is

[tex] \theta = \frac12 \arcsin(\langle + | - \rangle ) [/tex]

That is,

[tex] \sin2\theta = \langle + | - \rangle [/tex]

Kreizhn said:
I never said that the original two states were orthogonal. I realize that by using the +/- notation you may have assumed as such (as I realize they are commonly used to represent an orthonormal basis), but they needn't be for the purpose of this discussion.

Ah ok! But you assumed too that they were orthonormal when you wrote the transformation matrix. You assumed that [tex] |+ \rangle [/tex] was the column vector with entries (1,0) and you assumed that [tex] |- \rangle [/tex] was the column vector with entries (0,1). You need to write the general expressions for those two states.

By the way, what does "conformal" have to do with the question?

Very good point, I did end up assuming they were orthogonal myself. I mentioned the non-conformality in that most unitary operators seem to be rotations, though I think that for this purpose we are primarily interested in a non-conformal map. I could be wrong.

1. What is a non-conformal unitary mapping?

A non-conformal unitary mapping is a mathematical transformation that preserves angles but not shapes or sizes. It is a type of mapping that is used to transform one geometric shape into another without altering the angles between its lines or curves. In contrast to conformal mappings, which preserve both angles and shapes, non-conformal unitary mappings do not necessarily preserve the lengths of lines or the ratios of areas.

2. What are some real-life applications of non-conformal unitary mappings?

Non-conformal unitary mappings have various applications in the fields of physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to create realistic lighting and shading effects in computer graphics, to simulate fluid flow in engineering, and to study quantum systems in physics.

3. What is the difference between a conformal and a non-conformal unitary mapping?

The main difference between conformal and non-conformal unitary mappings is that conformal mappings preserve both angles and shapes, while non-conformal mappings only preserve angles. This means that conformal mappings also preserve ratios of lengths and areas, while non-conformal mappings may distort them.

4. How is a non-conformal unitary mapping represented mathematically?

A non-conformal unitary mapping is typically represented using a complex-valued function called a non-conformal unitary operator. This operator is defined on a complex plane and maps points from one region to another, preserving the angles between lines or curves.

5. What are some limitations of non-conformal unitary mappings?

One major limitation of non-conformal unitary mappings is that they do not preserve shapes or sizes, which may be important in certain applications such as cartography or navigation. Additionally, because they are more complex mathematically, they may be more difficult to work with and analyze compared to conformal mappings.