1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-conservative circuits

1. Sep 22, 2015 #1
    Why can't Kirchoff's Laws be applied to a non-conservative circuit?. I'll be looking forward to a good discussion.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2015 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Hi Arvind, welcome to PF!

What is a non conservative circuit? I have never heard the term.

4. Sep 22, 2015 #3
    I guess that term is wrong. Suppose there is an inductor in a circuit, it is said the conceptually Faraday's laws are more superior that Kirchoff's laws. Why?

5. Sep 23, 2015 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Your question is why does a description of what happens with an all-resistor circuit fail when you use a non-all-resistor circuit? Same reason a law about gasses fails when you talk about solids, or a law about metals fails when talking about non-metals, and so on. A mathematical description of a certain system describes that system - not necessarily some other system.

6. Sep 23, 2015 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They are for 2 different things ... you cannot really compare them

have you even googled the 2 to see the differences ?

7. Sep 23, 2015 #6
    Okay, thank you guys!

8. Sep 26, 2015 #7

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I wouldn't say specifically Faraday's law is superior. What you can say is that you can derive KCL and KVL from Maxwell's equations, but not the other way around. But you need all of Maxwell's equations, not just Faraday's law. And a better term is "more general" rather than "superior".

9. Sep 26, 2015 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook