1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-Conservative Work

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 0.620 kg wood block is firmly attached to a spring (k = 180 N/m). It is noted that the block-spring system, when compressed 0.050 m and released, stretches out 0.023 m beyond the equilibrium position before stopping and turning back. what is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the table?

2. Relevant equations

-(Wnc) = PEf - PEo + KEf - KEo

3. The attempt at a solution

1/2 kx2 = 1/2 mv2 + umgd

This equation has two unknowns (u and v). I don't know any other equation to solve for the unknowns, so I'm stuck here... What other equation do I use?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2008 #2
    I would look at the block at the two times it has zero velocity (i.e. before it is released, and just as it changes direction, call these points A and B), and compare the potential energies stored in the spring. Then work done against friction in going from A to B is the difference in potential energies:

[tex] W = \frac{k}{2}(0.05^2 - 0.023^2) [/tex]

You know the distance travelled is the distance AB, so using the work calculated in the last line:

[tex] W = F(0.023 + 0.05)[/tex]

Then you need to work out the coefficient of friction. First, the reaction force R of the table on the block:

[tex]R = mg[/tex]

[tex]F = \mu R[/tex]

I'm not sure whether this is correct.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?