Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non conservative

1. Nov 26, 2008 #1
    In an inductor capacitor circuit , what is the kind of E field driving the current? Conservative or non-conservative? And I really dont understand what is the correct way to setup the differential equation for it. This is why:

In high school level text books(Resnick Walker), they have applied loop rule.

In Griffith, he says [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = -L di/dt = Q/C

In MIT OCW , walter lewin says [tex]\int[/tex] E.dl = -Ldi/dt = Q/C

I think last two are the same but still can someone clear this.I mean going by what griffith says(hes the best) can someone tell me why is [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = -L di/dt . I know [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = [tex]\int[/tex]f.dl . How can I arrive using [tex]\int[/tex]f.dl that the [tex]\epsilon[/tex] in the circuit is -Ldi/dt. This thing has been bugging me a lot, plz reply.

[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = EMF and [tex]\int[/tex] = closed loop integral.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2008 #2
    The e.m.f is not the line integral of force but of the electric field. e.m.f is potential (work/charge) and not energy.

Another thing, it should be EMF=-L di/dt+Q/C (I mean, + rather than = between the last two terms).
    It's just Kirchoff second rule: sum of the potential drops equals the EMF.

4. Dec 1, 2008 #3
    yep, this is getting into my question. there's a pretty good elementary discussion in this
    textbook "Electromagnetic Fields and Energy" by Haus and Melcher that gets into the
    difference between electrostatics and magnetostartics into the area called {electro-or magneto}
    quasistatics, and how to discriminate the difference between the two. I think the differences are
    pretty important in the theory of electric machines: rotating magnetic fields and all that. My primary
    interest is in modeling physical circuits by extracting lumped models from gemoetric descriptions.
    I'll dig out that old textbook and do some reading, maybe we can compare notes?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?