1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-Constant Acceleration

1. Jan 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The acceleration of an object in a fluid is proportional to its speed squared. If the object's initial speed is 1.13 m/s, how much time until its speed is reduced by half (0.565 m/s)?

2. Relevant equations

a=-.48v^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using the formula

v(f)-v(0) + a*t

Taking the derivative of the whole thing seems like it's fruitless. If I integrate the formula I can get an equation that relates to velocity:

v=-.16x^3

But I don't know how that relates to the time. Should the "x" be displacement or time since velocity (the result of the equation) is displacement AND time? I can solve for x, but I don't know what I'm actually solving. thanks everyone

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2009 #2
    Your equation relating acceleration to velocity can be written as

[tex]a=\frac{dv}{dt}=kv^2[/tex]

Separate the variables and integrate.

4. Jan 30, 2009 #3

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Remember that these quick little equations of motion most of us memorize are all derived from the case of constant acceleration!

5. Jan 30, 2009 #4
    Ahh, the acceleration IS the derivitive. So the integral with -.16 is the equation I need to use? What is the X in that equation then? time or distance?

6. Jan 31, 2009 #5
    Separating variables gives

[tex]\frac{dv}{v^2}=kdt[/tex]

Integrate both sides using the appropriate limits for v (v0 to v0/2) and t (0 to t).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?