How Can I Solve a Differential Equation with Non-Constant Coefficients?

• I
  • Thread starter dRic2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coefficient
Ok thank you very much for your help. I'll be studying this a lot in the next days!In summary, the conversation revolved around a person's attempt to solve a differential equation using separation of variables' method. The equation involved constants ##k## and ##f##, and after some rearranging, it was found to be similar to Bessel's differential equation. The person was not familiar with Bessel functions and asked for help or suggestions for further reading. It was suggested to use a variable substitution and the Frobenius method to solve the equation.
dRic2
I was attempting to solve a differential equation using separation of variables' method. After some calculations I got to this:

$$ \frac 1 {a(r)} \frac k r \frac d {dr} \left(r \frac {da(r)}{dr} \right) = f $$

and I rearranged to this:

$$\frac k r \frac {da(r)}{dr} + \frac{d^2a(r)}{dr^2} = fa(r)$$

##k## and ##f## are constants. In a more elegant way:

$$ \ddot a + \frac k r \dot a - fa = 0 $$

Then I realized I don't know how to solve it because of ## \frac 1/r ##. I never studied how to solve differential equation with non-constant coefficients. Can anybody help me? Or suggest me some reading that can help me?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you. I'll be studying it in the next days... see if I can get it done.

dRic2 said:
I was attempting to solve a differential equation using separation of variables' method. After some calculations I got to this:

$$ \frac 1 {a(r)} \frac k r \frac d {dr} \left(r \frac {da(r)}{dr} \right) = f $$

and I rearranged to this:

$$\frac k r \frac {da(r)}{dr} + \frac{d^2a(r)}{dr^2} = fa(r)$$

##k## and ##f## are constants. In a more elegant way:

$$ \ddot a + \frac k r \dot a - fa = 0 $$

Then I realized I don't know how to solve it because of ## \frac 1/r ##. I never studied how to solve differential equation with non-constant coefficients. Can anybody help me? Or suggest me some reading that can help me?
Thank you
This looks a lot like a Bessel equation. Are you familiar with Bessel functions?

Chestermiller said:
This looks a lot like a Bessel equation. Are you familiar with Bessel functions?
Not only looks like. It is Bessel's differential equation for ##k = 0## (or modified Bessel's differential equation depending on the signs of ##f## and ##k##), which is the reason I linked to the Wikipedia page on Bessel functions.

Orodruin said:
Not only looks like. It is Bessel's differential equation for ##k = 0## (or modified Bessel's differential equation depending on the signs of ##f## and ##k##), which is the reason I linked to the Wikipedia page on Bessel functions.
Oops. Missed that. Sorry.

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I'm not familiar with Bessel's equation at all (I just happened to see it somewhere some times ago, so I knew there was a solution but I didn't even remember what to search). I checked the wikipedia page and I found out it's used to solve heat/mass transfer problems and it's funny because it is what I'm actually trying to do. So i think I'm on the right spot! :)

Anyway I think it is a bit too advanced to me right know, but I looked it up on "Mathematical methods for physics and engineering" and I found, like wikipedia says, Bessel's equation is:
$$ x^2 \ddot y + x \dot y + (x^2-k^2)y = 0 $$

My function looks instead like:

$$ kr^2 \ddot a + kr \dot a + fr^2a = 0 → r^2 \ddot a + r \dot a + \frac f k r^2a = 0$$

Since I started studying it this morning (with no special background in differential equations) I'd like to know if ##\frac f k ## affects the solutions of the equation and how. Thank you

Ps: since I got here by separating variables ##ƒ## is a constant which I no nothing about, I have to use B.C. later on to find it

Last edited by a moderator:
Make a variable substitution ##r = x \sqrt{k/f}##.

sorry I don't get it. I still have something different from bessel equation

dRic2 said:
sorry I don't get it. I still have something different from bessel equation
Please quote what you get, otherwise it is impossible to know where you go wrong.

Sorry, here:

(In order to make it easier I will put ##h = f/k##)

$$ \ddot a(r) + \frac 1 r \dot a(r) + ha(r) = 0$$
$$ r = x \sqrt \frac 1 h $$
Chain's rule:
$$ \frac {da(r)} {dr} = \frac d {dx} a \left(x \sqrt {\frac 1 h} \right) \frac {dx} {dx \sqrt {\frac 1 h}} = \sqrt h \frac d {dx} a \left(x \sqrt \frac 1 h \right) $$
$$ \frac {d^2a(r)} {dr^2} = \frac {d^2} {dx^2} a \left(x \sqrt {\frac 1 h} \right) \left( \frac {dx} {dx \sqrt {\frac 1 h}} \right)^2 + \frac d {dx} a \left(x \sqrt \frac 1 h \right) \frac {d^2x} {d \left( x \sqrt \frac 1 h \right)^2 } = h \frac {d^2} {dx^2} a \left( x sqrt \frac 1 h \right)$$
finally:
$$h \frac {d^2} {dx^2} a \left(x \sqrt \frac 1 h\right) + \frac 1 {x \frac 1 h} \sqrt h \frac d {dx} a \left(x \sqrt \frac 1 h \right) + h a \left(x \sqrt \frac 1 h \right) = 0$$
$$ \frac {d^2} {dx^2} a \left(x \sqrt \frac 1 h\right) + \frac 1 x \frac d {dx} a \left(x \sqrt \frac 1 h \right) + a \left(x \sqrt \frac 1 h \right) = 0 $$

How should I proceed ?

How is that not Bessel's differential equation?

But there is ##\sqrt \frac 1 h ## inside the parenthesis... isn't it a problem?

I mean the solution of Bessel's equation is ##a(x) = c_1J_v(x)+c_2J_{-v}(x) ##, should I replace ##x## with ##x\sqrt \frac 1 h##?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, this is not a problem. Just introduce a new function ##h(x) = a(x/\sqrt{h})##. This will lead to ##a(r) = h(r\sqrt{h})##.

Likes dRic2
Oh thank you. Just to be sure, the solution is then ##a(r) = cJ_v(r\sqrt h)##?

dRic2 said:
Oh thank you. Just to be sure, the solution is then ##a(r) = cJ_v(r\sqrt h)##?

In general you have also solutions called Bessel functions of the second kind, see http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BesselDifferentialEquation.html.

I believe it could also be constructive for you to look at the Frobenius method, where you solve the differential equation by a series expansion.

Yes, thank you for mentioning @eys_physics. I'll be studying that too in the future. Btw I didn't understand if you are implying that my solution is wrong because I'm like in the middle of the ocean right now ahahah :frown:

No, your solutions is not wrong. I said that there are in general more solutions. The ones I mentioned, ##Y_v## are singular at the origin (r=0). So, if you want a regular solution they should be disregarded. But, it depends on the actual problem you want to solve, which wasn't clear from your post.

By the Frobenius method you can derive the solution of your equation in terms of series expansion. One can then compare with series expansions existing for the Bessel functions. It takes some effort but can be useful to understand better how to solve this kind of differential equations.

Likes dRic2
eys_physics said:
The ones I mentioned, ##Y_v## are singular at the origin (r=0). So, if you want a regular solution they should be disregarded.
This is a common but not completely kosher argument. The question becomes why you want your solution to be regular at r=0. In the end it boils down to the behaviour of the inhomogeneity in your differential equation (typically r=0 is actually just a coordinate singularity in your domain). For example, the Green’s function of the Helmholtz equation in two dimensions involves a Bessel function of the second kind in order to take care of the delta inhomogeneity at r=0. However, as long as your inhomogeneity is sufficiently nice you will be able to assume regularity (and therefore throw away the Bessel functions of the second kind).

Of course, if r=0 is not part of your domain you cannot apply these arguments and you need to include both linearly independent solutions.

Likes eys_physics
Thanks, Orodruin for your clarification. I was a bit sloppy with the wording in my post. The word "should" in the quoted sentence wasn't appropriate. I meant that in some cases the irregular solution could be disregarded (depending on the problem statement), but in other cases not as you mention.

1. What is a non-constant coefficient in scientific terms?

A non-constant coefficient refers to a mathematical equation or function where the coefficient, or the number multiplied by a variable, changes or varies. This means that the coefficient is not a fixed number, but can be different for each instance of the variable.

2. How is a non-constant coefficient different from a constant coefficient?

A constant coefficient remains the same throughout an equation or function, while a non-constant coefficient can change or vary. This can affect the shape and behavior of the equation or function, making it more complex to analyze and solve.

3. What are some examples of non-constant coefficients in scientific equations?

Some examples of non-constant coefficients include the coefficients in polynomial equations, such as ax^2 + bx + c, where a and b are non-constant coefficients. Other examples can be found in differential equations, where the coefficients may vary based on the independent variable.

4. What are the implications of non-constant coefficients in scientific research?

Non-constant coefficients can make equations and functions more complex and difficult to analyze, which can make scientific research more challenging. However, they also allow for a better representation of real-world systems that may have variables with changing coefficients.

5. How do scientists handle non-constant coefficients in their research?

Scientists use various mathematical techniques, such as integration and differentiation, to handle non-constant coefficients in their research. They may also use computer programs and simulations to model and analyze equations with non-constant coefficients.