1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NON coplanar forces, please i need help thanks

1. Jul 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the resultant of three coplanar concurrent forces, f1 north a magnitude of 8 grams, F2 of magnitude 12 grams and acting southwest f3 of magnitude 5 grams and acting southeast Find the resultant in an easterly and northerly direction.

known values:
    F1 = 8 grams North
    F2 = 12 grams Southwest
    F3 = 5 grams Southeast

2. Relevant equations
    R=f1+f2+f3

N

/|\ (arrow up sorry dont know how to put a diagram here)
    |
    | F1 = 8 grams
    |
    |
    / \
    / \ F3 = 5 grams
    / \
    F2=12 grams / \
    V V

3. The attempt at a solution

In norhtern resultant: R=8 + 12 + 5 = 25 grams
    In eastern am confused if i am going to add it again? and in my first eauation dont know if am right? please help me thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2009 #2
    oh no... my diagram.... :( sorry this is my first time to join in a forum so dont know how to put a diagram.. but please help me thanks

4. Jul 27, 2009 #3

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Your northern resultant is wrong. All the forces are not acting along the same direction.
    Do you know how to resolve the vectors along vertical and horizontal direction?

5. Jul 27, 2009 #4
    thanks for the reply, actually, no, i tried to search anything in the net but i cant understand.. please help me... thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook