Non Corrosive pipes in compost

In summary, the conversation discusses using the heat from compost bins to sustain the temperature inside anaerobic digester tanks. The group is considering using a pump to circulate fluid under the compost and is looking for a material with high thermal conductivity that won't rust or corrode. They suggest using plastic or copper pipes, but note that stainless steel should be avoided in places without oxygen. They also mention considering plastic piping used for under-floor heating.
bioenergyproject
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to transfer heat from compost into anaerobic digestion tanks for maximum productivity from the methanogenic bacteria. The digestion tanks are to produce biogas.
So with our initial prototype for our anaerobic digester, we weren't able to sustain the right temperature inside the tanks. One idea we came up with is to use the heat from the compost bins that is only within 10-20 feet from our tanks. We plan to circulate the fluid inside the digestion tanks underneath the compost using a pump. So my question is, what is a material that has high thermal conductivity and would not rust or corrode underneath compost?

We put fruit peels, coffee grounds, paper dishes and bowls, vegetables, peoples leftover meals, and some other stuff i can't remember off the top of my head into the compost.

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

In case of limited thermal transport the usual answer is the most common plastic pipe. The thermal conductivity is low, but it is cheap to extend the surface and (in normal circumstances) it has long lifetime. It is also easy to use.
Copper would also do (high thermal conductivity) but I don't know how it would fit with the compost. Copper is often considered to have some antibiotic properties. It is also not cheap and more vulnerable to movements (compost is expected to shrink and move).

Are you sure the compost heap can/will produce enough heat?

Likes jrmichler
Maybe use stainless steel piping? It is probably not cheap, though...

1565273739790.png

Is there oxygen where those pipes run? Stainless steel should be avoided in places where it is not exposed to oxygen.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
anorlunda said:
Stainless steel should be avoided in places where it is not exposed to oxygen.
Interesting. Why's that?

See the below for a quick answer:
https://www.imetllc.com/training-article/stainless-steel-corrosion-resistant/

• Informative
Likes berkeman and BillTre
Don't re-invent wheel this time around, look at the plastic piping used for under-floor heating. Lots of know-how on usage, inexpensive accessories & connectors.
;-)

Likes chemisttree

1. What are non-corrosive pipes and why are they important in composting?

Non-corrosive pipes are pipes made from materials that are resistant to corrosion, such as PVC, HDPE, or stainless steel. They are important in composting because the acidic and corrosive nature of compost can cause traditional metal pipes to rust and deteriorate over time, leading to leaks and contamination of the compost.

2. How do non-corrosive pipes contribute to the overall composting process?

Non-corrosive pipes help to maintain the integrity of the composting system by preventing leaks and contamination. They also allow for efficient and consistent airflow, which is essential for the decomposition process in composting.

3. Are there any potential drawbacks to using non-corrosive pipes in composting?

One potential drawback is the cost of non-corrosive pipes, as they can be more expensive than traditional metal pipes. However, the long-term benefits and durability of non-corrosive pipes often outweigh the initial cost.

4. How can I ensure that my non-corrosive pipes will last in my composting system?

Regular maintenance and inspection of non-corrosive pipes is crucial to ensuring their longevity. This includes checking for any signs of wear or damage, cleaning them regularly, and replacing them if necessary.

5. Are there any specific types of non-corrosive pipes that are recommended for composting?

PVC and HDPE pipes are commonly used in composting systems due to their durability and resistance to corrosion. Stainless steel pipes are also a good option, but they can be more expensive. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the best type of pipe for your specific composting needs.

Back