Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-degree seeking to masters

  1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    Is it possible to sign up for classes for say a master's in physics(or some other technical degrees) as a non-degree seeking student then do well and get into the program?And if this does happen can you then earn scholarships to the program after that?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2010 #2
    Many schools have some form of "Open University" program where a student is permitted to take a few classes without being formally admitted to a program. It is certainly possible to build a background to admittance this way.

    Financial support is a different matter. There really isn't that much money available for master's students, period. I wouldn't say that it's impossible, but I think it's generally unlikely to obtain much support for master's studies. (Support for a Ph.D. is much more common... I'd even go so far to say that it is usually available, although by no means universal.)
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook