Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non destructive technique for Measuring and profiling the density of a food wafer

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    Hey, I am trying to measure and profile the density variation across a food wafer approximately 2 mm thick, I'm trying to find a method that will soley measure the density of the wafer and this method should be non destructive(the wafer can't be harmed). I have tried to do some research around the web but I can't find much, my initial ideas were,

1; LED light source, however when testing this method the results showed that the thickness and colour of the wafer greatly affected the readings.

2; Ultrasonics, testing this showed that the moisture content of the wafer greatly affected the reading

3; UV light, I have done some preliminary testing with UV and it was quite promising, from the results it was obvious that the thickness and moisture content did not affect the reading, I am currently trying to relate the absorbance to density. If you have any views of why UV should or should not work I would greatly appreciate your input.

I have also looked into beta radiation which seems to do the job but there are health and safety concerns with using this method. If you have any ideas how I could go about measuring the density which we could discuss it would be very helpful. Thanks !

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted