Non-dimensionalization of diff. system

• Thread starter LouiseLøcke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, non-dimensionalization is the process of removing units from a mathematical equation or system. This is important in differential systems because it allows for easier analysis and comparison, reduces the number of parameters, and simplifies the equations. To non-dimensionalize a system, variables and parameters are identified, reference variables are chosen, and dimensionless quantities are substituted into the equations. The benefits of non-dimensionalization include easier analysis, identification of dominant terms, and comparison of different systems. It can be applied to any differential system, but may not always be necessary or useful. Limitations and drawbacks include loss of information, the need for careful selection of reference variables, and potential lack of relevance for certain systems.
LouiseLøcke
I don't have any experince in normalizing when the equations depend on each other, so was hoping someone could tell me if what I have done is correct, and if not what the problem is :)

Homework Statement

I need to non-dimensional the following differential equations.

L1:= dn/dt = (a-b-k*y)*n
L2:= dy/dt = l*n-d*y

to
dN/dT= (D-Y)*N
dY/dT = N-Y
knowing that D = (a-b)/d.

The Attempt at a Solution

I start with inserting

n = k[n]*N,
y = k[y]*Y,
t = k[t]*T

L1:= d(k[n]*N))/d(k[t]*T) = (a -b-k*(k[y]*Y)*k[n]*N

L2:= d(k[y]*Y)/d(k[t]*T)= l*(k[n]*N) - d*k[y]*Y

I look at L2 first, and divide with k[y]/k[t] on both sides.

Then I set l= k[y]/(k[n]*k[t]) and d=1/k[t]

getting dY/dT = N-Y

next I look at L1, and divide with k[n]/k[t] on both sides and inserting k[t] = 1/delta ( which I found above)

getting
dN/dT = ((a-b)/(d) - (k*(k[y]*Y))/(d))*N

I now put D = (a-b)/d and k = d/k[y]
getting

dN/dT= (D-Y)*N (which is what I wanted)

Is this the correct way of approaching it?
Thanks Louise

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Louise,

Thank you for reaching out and seeking clarification on your approach to non-dimensionalizing the given differential equations. It appears that your approach is correct and you have successfully non-dimensionalized the equations. However, it is always a good practice to double check your work and make sure that all the units and dimensions match up in the final equations.

In general, the process of non-dimensionalizing involves replacing the original variables with dimensionless variables, such as the ones you have defined (k[n]*N, k[y]*Y, k[t]*T). These dimensionless variables are chosen in a way that the resulting equations are simpler and easier to work with. You have correctly identified the constants D and k in your final equations, and it is important to note that these constants have specific units and dimensions that must match up with the variables in the equations.

Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of the non-dimensionalization process and have applied it correctly in this case. Keep up the good work and always remember to double check your work to ensure accuracy.

1. What is non-dimensionalization and why is it important in differential systems?

Non-dimensionalization is the process of removing units from a mathematical equation or system. This is important in differential systems because it allows for easier analysis and comparison of different systems, as well as reducing the number of parameters and simplifying the equations.

2. How do you non-dimensionalize a differential system?

The first step in non-dimensionalizing a differential system is to identify all of the variables and parameters involved. Then, a set of reference variables is chosen, typically based on the physical system being modeled. The original variables are then divided by these reference variables, resulting in dimensionless quantities. Finally, these dimensionless quantities are substituted into the original equations, resulting in a non-dimensionalized system.

3. What are the benefits of non-dimensionalization in terms of analysis?

Non-dimensionalization allows for easier analysis of differential systems because it reduces the number of parameters and simplifies the equations. This makes it easier to see trends and patterns in the system, and also allows for comparison and generalization of different systems. It also helps to identify the dominant terms in the equations, which can aid in understanding the behavior of the system.

4. Can non-dimensionalization be applied to any differential system?

Yes, non-dimensionalization can be applied to any differential system. However, it may not always be necessary or useful. It is most commonly used in systems with multiple variables and parameters, and in cases where the units of the variables are known or can be easily identified.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to non-dimensionalization?

Non-dimensionalization can lead to loss of information, as the original dimensions and units are removed. It also requires careful consideration and selection of appropriate reference variables, as well as knowledge of the physical system being modeled. Additionally, non-dimensionalization may not always be necessary or useful, depending on the specific goals and analysis of the differential system.