Non-Electrostatic Problem: Closest Distance of Approach

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving charges and their movement, and the use of energy conservation in solving it. The concept of potential in a moving electric field is also brought up, along with similarities between gravity and Coulomb's law. The use of a harmonic oscillator analogy and the limitations of Newton's law in more extreme situations are also mentioned. The conversation concludes with the idea that gravity behaves similarly to electrodynamic fields in the formulation of general relativity.
atavistic
I encountered a problem which goes like this:

Two charges of mass m and charge q are initially positioned far from each other. Now one is projected towards the other with velocity v . Find the closest distance of approach.

We( in class) solved the problem using energy conservation but I had this doubt later:

Since the charges are moving, the electric field is not static in nature , so how can we define potential of such a field and use it in energy equation? And then I had this another doubt which we encounter more often in gravitation where two masses come towards each other by their mutual attraction, since gravitation is also similar to coulomb's law can we say we cannot gravitational field for a moving body?

Physics news on Phys.org
atavistic said:
I encountered a problem which goes like this:

Two charges of mass m and charge q are initially positioned far from each other. Now one is projected towards the other with velocity v . Find the closest distance of approach.

We( in class) solved the problem using energy conservation but I had this doubt later:

Since the charges are moving, the electric field is not static in nature , so how can we define potential of such a field and use it in energy equation? And then I had this another doubt which we encounter more often in gravitation where two masses come towards each other by their mutual attraction, since gravitation is also similar to coulomb's law can we say we cannot gravitational field for a moving body?

Conservation of energy certain works in your first scenario. Think of the harmonic oscillator. The "force" isn't a constant either throughout the motion of the oscillator (eg. mass on a spring). Yet, conservation of energy certainly works there.

The second problem (both masses moving) requires a bit more thought. This is the same problem as the method of images where one has a charge moving towards an infinite conducting plane. There is a difference between this, and moving a charge while keeping the other one fixed. I actually wrote this for a "vexer" contest a while back, so you may want to read this first.

Zz.

Attachments

• Vexer33.doc
    30 KB · Views: 192
I don't think I am satisfied with the harmonic oscillator analogy because there , there is nothing called field .

Awaiting more replies.

atavistic said:
I don't think I am satisfied with the harmonic oscillator analogy because there , there is nothing called field .

Awaiting more replies.

Er.. the harmonic oscillator potential is used in solid state physics plenty of times. These are the potential field that, to an good approximation, is what holding the crystal lattice in place. Look at the calculation involved in finding the specific heat of a solid.

Besides, what does this matter? A potential field is a potential field! Did you even look at the attached document?

Zz.

atavistic said:
Since the charges are moving, the electric field is not static in nature , so how can we define potential of such a field and use it in energy equation?

As long as the particle is moving sufficiently "slow" (ie not relativistic) the setup is called "quasistatic" and all the machinery of electrostatics works just fine for all practical purposes.

The situation can be treated exactly by use of retarded potential formulation (or relativistic electrodynamics) but that's hardcore stuff.
atavistic said:
And then I had this another doubt which we encounter more often in gravitation where two masses come towards each other by their mutual attraction, since gravitation is also similar to coulomb's law can we say we cannot gravitational field for a moving body?

Technically speaking no. That's why Newtons law of gravity fails to account for more exotic phenomena like black holes. But again, as long as the bodies involved moves sufficiently slow and the mass density is sufficiently low, Newtons law works just fine.

Gravity, in the formulation of general relativity on the other hand, is revealed to behave much like electrodynamic fields, introducing some other field that behaves very similar to a magnetic field

What is a non-electrostatic problem?

A non-electrostatic problem refers to a situation or scenario in which the forces acting on an object or particle are not related to electric charges or electric fields. These forces can include gravitational, magnetic, and frictional forces.

What is the closest distance of approach?

The closest distance of approach is the shortest distance between two objects or particles as they move towards each other. In the context of a non-electrostatic problem, it refers to the minimum distance at which the non-electrostatic forces between the objects are the strongest.

How is the closest distance of approach calculated?

The closest distance of approach can be calculated using the equation r = 2GM/v2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of one of the objects, and v is the relative velocity between the objects. This equation assumes that the objects have a purely gravitational interaction.

What factors affect the closest distance of approach?

The closest distance of approach is affected by the masses and velocities of the objects involved, as well as the strength of the non-electrostatic forces acting between them. Other factors such as the initial positions and directions of motion may also play a role in determining the closest distance of approach.

Why is understanding the closest distance of approach important?

Understanding the closest distance of approach is important in predicting the behavior of objects or particles in a non-electrostatic system. It can also be used to calculate the likelihood of a collision between objects or the potential energy released during a close approach. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as astrodynamics, where the paths of celestial bodies must be accurately predicted.