How to Solve a Non-Homogeneous Laplace Equation?

• Thread starter reece
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laplace
In summary, the conversation is about solving the differential equation y' +3y = 8e^{t} with the initial condition y(0) = 2. The person asking for help has tried solving it as a homogeneous equation but gets stuck when trying to incorporate the right-hand side of the equation. They believe they may need to use the Heaviside method to solve it. The other person explains the correct method, which involves using partial fractions. The final solution is y(t)=2e^t. They also mention an alternative solution without using Laplace, which gives the solution y(t)=A e^{-3t}+2e^t. However, this solution is unbounded for large t.
reece
Hi, I can solve homogeneous laplace fine, but with RHS i get stuck half way through.

Q:
y' +3y = 8e[tex]^{t}[/tex]
y(0) = 2

Working as if it was homogeneous..

sY(s) - 2 + 3Y(s) = 8 . [tex]\frac{1}{s-1}[/tex]
Y(s) (s+3) - 2 = 8 . [tex]\frac{1}{s-1}[/tex]

I think the next step is
Y(s) = [tex]\frac{2}{s+3}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{8}{s-1}[/tex]
and then do partial fractions but i don't think it leads me to where I need to be. I think i need to make it into a heaviside ??

Any help would be great. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello reece,
It took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on. Your method is OK, except that you should rewrite the final line as:
[tex](s+3)Y(s)=\frac{8}{s-1}+2=2\cdot \frac{s+3}{s-1}[/tex]
From which:
[tex]Y(s)=\frac{2}{s-1}[/tex]
And thus the final solution is:
[tex]y(t)=2e^t[/tex]

I expected two exponentials and therefore it is interesting to solve it without using Laplace. The solution is then
[tex]y(t)=A e^{-3t}+2e^t[/tex]
After applying the boundary condition you get A=0.

It is a strange equation because the exponential is unbounded for large t.

A: Hi there,

It looks like you're on the right track! After finding the partial fraction decomposition, you'll end up with the following equation:

Y(s) = \frac{2}{s+3} + \frac{8}{s-1} = \frac{A}{s+3} + \frac{B}{s-1}

where A and B are constants. To solve for these constants, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients. This involves setting up a system of equations using the given equation and its derivatives, and then solving for the constants.

Once you have the values for A and B, you can substitute them back into the equation and take the inverse Laplace transform to find the solution to the non-homogeneous equation. Don't worry about the Heaviside function - that is used for solving systems of equations with step functions, but it is not necessary for this problem.

Hope this helps!

What is non-homogeneous Laplace?

Non-homogeneous Laplace is a mathematical equation used to describe the behavior of non-uniform electric fields. It is an extension of the traditional Laplace equation, which is used to describe the behavior of uniform electric fields.

How is non-homogeneous Laplace solved?

Non-homogeneous Laplace is typically solved using boundary value problems, where the boundary conditions are given at specific points in the electric field. It can also be solved using numerical methods, such as the finite difference method or the finite element method.

What are some real-world applications of non-homogeneous Laplace?

Non-homogeneous Laplace has many practical applications in various fields, including electrical engineering, physics, and computer science. It is used to model the behavior of electric fields in electronic devices, study the properties of conductors and insulators, and simulate the behavior of complex systems.

What is the difference between non-homogeneous and homogeneous Laplace?

The main difference between non-homogeneous and homogeneous Laplace is the presence or absence of a non-zero source term in the equation. In homogeneous Laplace, the source term is zero, while in non-homogeneous Laplace, the source term is non-zero. This means that non-homogeneous Laplace can account for the presence of external charges or currents in the electric field.

What are some techniques for solving non-homogeneous Laplace equations?

Some common techniques for solving non-homogeneous Laplace equations include separation of variables, the method of Green's functions, and the method of images. Other techniques such as conformal mapping and Laplace transform can also be used in certain cases.