Solve Non-Ideal Battery Homework: Find Power Through R2

• Thread starter kjlchem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, a circuit is constructed with five resistors and one real battery, which is modeled as an ideal emf in series with an internal resistance. The values for the resistors are given, along with the measured voltage across the battery terminals. The problem asks for the power through R2 and the relevant equations are V=IR, P=IV, and Kirchoff's laws. To find the power through R2, the currents I1 and I3 can be calculated and used to determine the voltage drop across R2. Alternatively, the potential divider rule can be used to find the voltage across R2. The internal resistance is not necessary for further calculations as the measured voltage across the battery terminals is all that is needed.
kjlchem

Homework Statement

A circuit is constructed with five resistors and one real battery as shown above right. We model. The real battery as an ideal emf V = 12 V in series with an internal resistance r as shown above left. The values for the resistors are: R1 = R3 = 30 Ω, R4 = R5 = 78 Ω and R2 = 138 Ω. The measured voltage across the terminals of the batery is Vbattery = 11.56 V.

What is the power through R2?

Homework Equations

V=IR

P = IV
Kirchoff's laws

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already found the currents I1 and I3. Also, I think that I2 = I1 - I3. I tried plugging that into P = IV, and did not get the correct answer. It could be my units or my previous equation. I have current in amps and voltage in volts. I do not know what I am doing wrong.

Attachments

• non.png
    non.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,097
Physics news on Phys.org
kjlchem said:

Homework Statement

A circuit is constructed with five resistors and one real battery as shown above right. We model. The real battery as an ideal emf V = 12 V in series with an internal resistance r as shown above left. The values for the resistors are: R1 = R3 = 30 Ω, R4 = R5 = 78 Ω and R2 = 138 Ω. The measured voltage across the terminals of the batery is Vbattery = 11.56 V.

What is the power through R2?

Homework Equations

V=IR

P = IV
Kirchoff's laws

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already found the currents I1 and I3. Also, I think that I2 = I1 - I3. I tried plugging that into P = IV, and did not get the correct answer. It could be my units or my previous equation. I have current in amps and voltage in volts. I do not know what I am doing wrong.

You said you had calculated the currents, what did you calculate the Voltage drop across R2 to be? (in order to use VI]
If you didn't know V you could have used the I2R expression instead.

how did you find I1 and I3? I am doing the same problem and need help.

nvm I got them. and using p=I^2R did get the answer for power through R2.

This is how i'd do it..

Replace R3-5 and R2 with an equivalent Rx.

Then you have a battery supplying R1 + Rx. You know the measured battery voltage so you can work out the current I1.

The potential divider rule will give you the voltage across Rx (which is equal to the voltage across R2).

Knowing the voltage across R2 you can work out the current through R2 or calculate the power directly using P=I^2 * R

I am working on the same problem, but can't figure out how to find r (resistance in the battery) . I found out I1 by ignoring the resistance in the battery, and finding total resistance, then dividing the battery's voltage by it, and yet got a correct answer.

ayajek said:
I am working on the same problem, but can't figure out how to find r (resistance in the battery) . I found out I1 by ignoring the resistance in the battery, and finding total resistance, then dividing the battery's voltage by it, and yet got a correct answer.
Since you are given the voltage across the battery terminals as a measured value, presumably on the operating circuit, the internal resistance r is irrelevant to further calculations. Whatever the actual values of V and r, the measured value at the terminals under operating conditions is all you need to know provided the circuit is not altered. In other words you have a known, fixed potential change that you can plug into any equation that needs to "know" the potential across the battery component.

1. How do I solve non-ideal battery homework?

To solve non-ideal battery homework, you will need to use Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws. First, determine the values of the resistors and the voltage of the battery. Then, use Ohm's Law to calculate the current. Finally, use Kirchhoff's Laws to calculate the power through resistor R2.

2. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points. This means that as the voltage increases, the current also increases, and vice versa.

3. What are Kirchhoff's Laws?

Kirchhoff's Laws are two principles used in circuit analysis. The first law, also known as the law of conservation of charge, states that the current entering a junction must equal the current leaving the junction. The second law, also known as the loop rule, states that the sum of the voltage drops around a closed loop must equal the sum of the voltage rises.

4. How do I calculate the power through resistor R2?

To calculate the power through resistor R2, you will need to use the formula P=I2R, where P is power in watts, I is current in amperes, and R is resistance in ohms. First, use Ohm's Law to calculate the current through R2. Then, plug the current and resistance values into the power formula to find the power through R2.

5. What are some factors that affect the power of a non-ideal battery?

Some factors that can affect the power of a non-ideal battery include internal resistance, temperature, and the age of the battery. Internal resistance can cause a voltage drop and decrease the power output of the battery. Temperature can also affect the battery's performance, as extreme temperatures can affect the chemical reactions happening inside the battery. Additionally, as a battery ages, its capacity and power output may decrease.