Deriving the Adiabatic Expression for a Van der Waals Gas

In summary: R+1)/Cv where R is the gas constant. So if you want to cancel the nR term in the power, you need to solve for R.
Nusc
For a van der Waals gas experiencing an adiabatic process derive the following expression:

T(V-nb)^(R/Cv) = Constant

I tried using PV^gamma = Constant with gamma = Cp/Cv
and Cp - Cv = nR with PV = nRT but could not get it.

Any hints?

I would have to use Boyle's law to account for the factor of b but I'm not sure of its relavance to the problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://theory.ph.man.ac.uk/~judith/stat_therm/node96.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This problem is specifically non-ideal but the equations only apply to the ideal case.

Well perhaps one can start with P (V-nb) = nRT, which ignores the +an2/V2 term, which correct pressure, i.e. (P + an2/V2).

Okay so, it's non-ideal therefore V = V - nb
It's adiabatic so the other ideal equations still hold.
And this is a van der Waals gas.

If I do start with P (V-nb) = nRT then I would have to eventually end up with T(V-nb)^R/Cv = Constant. But how would I ever get that power R/Cv?

I prove nothing:

P(V-nb)^R/Cv = nRT
Cp-Cv = nR
Cp = nR + Cv

gamma = Cp/Cv = (nR+Cv)/Cv = 1+nR/Cv

T(V-nb)^(gamma -1) = Constant
TP^(1/gamma -1) = Constant

T(V-nb)^(gamma -1) = TP^(1/gamma -1)

gamma root((V-nb)) / (V-nb) = gamma root(P)/P

P/(V-nb) = gamma root(P/(V-nb))

(P/(V-nb))^gamma = P/(V-nb)

(P/(V-nb))^(1+nR/Cv) = nRT

This gets me nothing, hints?

1. Replace V by V-nb
2. Write the new equation of state
3. Write the new adiabatic equation
4. Substitute and complete

That will give you the result of post#1

PS : If you have trouble, perform the above steps and we'll help from wherever you are stuck...

So we know V = V-nb
PV^gamma = cst

gamma = Cp/Cv
Cp-Cv = nR
Cp = nR + Cv

P(V-nb) ^ gamma = cst
P(V-nb) ^ Cp/Cv = cst
P(V-nb) ^ (nR+Cv/Cv) = cst
P(V-nb) ^ (nR/Cv +1) = cst

Adiatbatic process so Q = 0 and dU = -W = CvMdT
Where does T supposed to come from in the T(V-nb)^R/Cv = cst?
How do I cancel n in the power?

Last edited:
Fine, let me try again.

Non-ideal Gas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a van der Waals gas experiencing an adiabatic process derive the following expression:

PV ^ gamma = cst.
P=nRT/V

nRTV^(gamma -1) = cst.
TV^(gamma -1 ) = cst.

(P + n(a/v)^2)(V-nb)^gamma = cst.
(P + n(a/v)^2)(V-nb) = nRT

Dividing those two we get

(V-nb)^(Cp/Cv - 1) = cst/nRT

T(V-nb)^(Cp/Cv - Cv/Cv) = cst/nR

But cst/nR is a cst. so

T(V-nb)^(nR/Cv) = cst

There I'm close but I still have that n term in the power.

What do I do eliminate it?

Okay i got it. but what is the justification for not useing P:P + an2/V2)

Please tell me before 8 hours from this post

Nusc said:
There I'm close but I still have that n term in the power.

What do I do eliminate it?
Guess this is too late...but for what it's worth, Cp and Cv are the molar specific heats (heat capacity per mole of gas).

This gives Cp - Cv = R

1. What is the purpose of deriving the adiabatic expression for a Van der Waals gas?

The adiabatic expression for a Van der Waals gas is used to describe the behavior of a gas under conditions where there is no exchange of heat with the surroundings (i.e. an adiabatic process). This expression takes into account the intermolecular forces and the finite size of gas molecules, making it more accurate than the ideal gas law.

2. How is the adiabatic expression for a Van der Waals gas derived?

The adiabatic expression for a Van der Waals gas is derived by applying the first law of thermodynamics to an adiabatic process. This involves considering the work done by the gas, the change in internal energy, and the change in volume. The Van der Waals equation, which takes into account the attractive and repulsive forces between gas molecules, is then used to express the pressure and volume in terms of the gas properties.

3. What are the assumptions made when deriving the adiabatic expression for a Van der Waals gas?

The main assumptions made when deriving the adiabatic expression for a Van der Waals gas are that the gas is in a closed system, there is no heat transfer with the surroundings, and the gas behaves as an ideal gas at low pressures and high temperatures. Additionally, it is assumed that the gas molecules do not undergo any phase changes during the process.

4. How does the adiabatic expression for a Van der Waals gas differ from the ideal gas law?

The adiabatic expression for a Van der Waals gas differs from the ideal gas law in that it takes into account the intermolecular forces and the finite size of gas molecules. This results in a correction factor for the pressure and volume terms, making the expression more accurate at high pressures and low temperatures where the ideal gas law breaks down.

5. What are some practical applications of the adiabatic expression for a Van der Waals gas?

The adiabatic expression for a Van der Waals gas is commonly used in chemical engineering and thermodynamics to model the behavior of real gases. It is particularly useful in industrial processes where gases are compressed or expanded, such as in refrigeration systems or gas turbines. The expression can also be applied in the study of planetary atmospheres and the behavior of gases in outer space.