1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non ideal Lorentzians

1. Dec 8, 2007 #1

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Non ideal" Lorentzians

I am not sure if this is a question about math, physics or electrical engineering...
    Anyway, I am currently trying to analyze some measurement data. What I have is essentially the transmissivity (i.e. S21 using EE terminology) for a high-Q resonator (Q value about 10^6). Ideally a resonator of this type should have a shape that is very nearly Lorentzian. However, what we see is that the shape depends on the temperature and at elevated temperatures s clearly "distorted" , we believe there is a rather interesting reason for this temperature dependence (meaning it is worth looking into).
    Now, I would like to somehow "quantify" this change to that I can plot it as a function of temperature.

Is there a generally accepted way to quantify how much the shape of a resonance deviates from an ideal Lorentzian?
    I seem to remember seeing something similar, i.e. a "shape factor" (not the same thing as the shape factor in EE), being used in atomic spectroscopy but I can't find anything useful using Google schoolar.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted