1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non inertial pendulum problem

1. Oct 29, 2006 #1

I have this practice problem i'm trying to figure out.

A pendulum 80 cm in length has a mass of 0.4g is suspended on the roof of a truck accelerating at 2.6m/s/s. Find a) the horizontal deviation of the mass; b) the tension in the cord.

For a, I know the answer is 20.6cm but I really have no clue as to where to start, what formulas to use. I've been trying for a couple of hours with the formulas I have and can't seem to get the correct answer. I do know this would be a non-inertial frame of reference type of problem but i'm stuck as to how I arrive to that answer.

For b, I thought i'd use the pythagorean equation since we have the weight and the force F' making a 90 degree angle. So I did sqrt((mg)^2 + (ma)^2) = 4.06N.

Any insight on how I should approach the first problem and the steps I should take to solve it would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For (a) start by drawing a FBD of the mass. Note that the mass will be accelerating at the same rate as the truck.
  4. Oct 29, 2006 #3
    Ok. So there are 3 forces (mg, ma and T) acting on the object.

Fx = Tcos(theta) - F'
    Fy = Tsin(theta) - mg

Is that right? If so, where do I go from here?
  5. Oct 29, 2006 #4
    Carefull, if you are saying that theta is the angle with the verticle, then you mixed up the sine and cosine.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?