1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-Infinite Space-Time

1. Nov 16, 2007 #1
    *note: I had this reviewed by a moderator before posting, so I hope you consider it appropriate to this forum.

Hypothetical proposition (of the form “if p, then q” – without asserting the truth of p or q):

If space-time S is not infinitely divisible, then space-time S cannot be infinite in extent.

Proof:

If space-time S is not infinitely divisible, then there exists a smallest possible increment of S, s. [The precise size of s does not matter; it only matters that it is finite.]

Since S is built from finite space-time components s, S requires an infinite amount of time (t∞) to become infinite in extent. [note that s is a space-time component, not simply a component of a geometric space.]

At any time t, we can assert that t∞ has not yet been reached (since t∞ is infinite).

Therefore, at any time t we can assert that space-time S is not infinite in extent.

Footnote: the number of dimensions of S (or equivalently, s) does not matter; it only matters that at least one is a time dimension.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2007 #2
    the smallest unit idea is already firmly established by the concept of quanta and quantum observables- as well by causal set mathematics and computation: a non-discrete system has infinte information and thus infinite entropy and thus infinite instability NO causality- if you observe a causal universe with consistant physical laws your world is discrete

however your conjecture on infinte space is a non-starter- there is no model of cosmology which requires or suggeststhat the universe at the Big Bang was finite- this is often confused- some mistakenly think the BB implies a finite point in which the universe expanded- but the BBonly deals with the finite area we observe today- THAT is the tiny point- but there is no reason to think that the universe wasn't already infinite and simply expanded from a superdense state globally or locally: http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/bigbang.html

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  4. Nov 28, 2007 #3
    i am familiar with commuting/non-commuting observables, Hermitians, etc. i don't accept your proposed counter-argument. an infinite space-time, by definition, cannot appear at once. remember: this is not a space; it is a space-time.

but i am pleased to see someone thoughtful respond. thank you for challenging my idea. i hope to hear from you again.

regards.

5. Nov 28, 2007 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't you need to prove that each s takes a positive time to be created/established/transversed? What if each (finite) s is "transversed" in "no time at all"? Then isn't t∞/0 = indeterminate?

Is this problem really different from any of Zeno's Paradoxes?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?