Heroic Boy Bridger Saves Sister From Dog Attack

In summary, a six-year-old boy bravely stepped in to protect his little sister from a charging dog, making him a hero in the eyes of his family. However, some argue that children should be taught to call for help rather than take action in potentially dangerous situations. This story highlights the unpredictable nature of human reactions and the survivor bias in media coverage.
wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
https://au.news.yahoo.com/disturbing-photo-heroic-boy-saved-sister-dog-attack-051333690.html

When a six-year-old boy saw his little sister being attacked by a dog he didn’t hesitate to jump in and protect her.
Bridger from from Cheyenne, Wyoming in the US has been dubbed a hero after he selflessly stepped into stop a dog charging toward his sister.
“On July 9, my 6-year-old nephew Bridger saved his little sister’s life by standing between her and a charging dog.

Only several third-rate media published this event. Who does care indeed? There are a lot of other top news for large and respectable newspapers. We live in the world where parents teach their boys not to fight, not to protect but to call the police. But I say this world hasn't fallen to hell yet just because guys like him exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes atyy and mcastillo356
Physics news on Phys.org
I find your commentary a bit off here. There have been instances where children went to help a victim and became themselves a victim.

This young boy was very brave and has the trauma to prove it. No mention of whether the dog was put down. Of course the dog owners were so friendly to the family they don't want to lose their dog or suffer any liability.

It's why we teach children to call for help and/or get an adult involved and to not just jump into help. It's why we tell CPR students to call for help first then help the victim.

Perhaps, you don't have children or don't realize how naive children are and how easily they can be tricked by adults. As a parent though you become quite sensitive to these kinds of issues from the stories you read in the news.

There is the other extreme for teenagers in a party that see something happen that is terribly wrong like an assault. They may move to stop the assault but then to NOT call the police or 911 allowing the unconscious victim to die.

They are each afraid of getting in trouble for drinking or drugs and so leave it to someone else at the party to call. No one does, they argue about it for several minutes, the victim turns blue and they decide to drive him to the hospital where he dies from lack of oxygen if only they had called 911 first.

• Informative
Likes davenn, Keith_McClary and Wrichik Basu
O, yes. You sound so reasonable.

wrobel said:
he selflessly stepped into stop a dog charging toward his sister.
I remember that story, from where, the internet, newspaper, I don't remember.Didn't think the kid was stupid, nor think that he was a hero.
( Of course to his little sister he is, and family would treat him as such, I would think, rather than chastise him for carelessly putting his own life in danger ( over that of his sister ) )

At times of crisis, people, even kids, do an action on impulse without thought of potential consequences.
Sometimes it is an immediate interaction, sometimes a freeze up and confusion, sometimes running for help.
And since no two situations are exactly the same, the reaction can not be foreseen in uncontrolled situations and there is a good chance a second time around it would be be completely different. And who is to say whether one reaction is a better response than another - it can be argued that a freeze up can work towards a de-escalation of the situation, by providing a non-threatening stance and in that case the person should be considered a hero also, as should also the one running for help ).

There is also survivor bias at play as we remember these stories over cases where a kid died trying to assist his sister and the story was written that two kids died from a dog attack.

256bits said:
Didn't think the kid was stupid, nor think that he was a hero.
( Of course to his little sister he is, and family would treat him as such, I would think, rather than chastise him for carelessly putting his own life in danger ( over that of his sister ) )
jedishrfu said:
There is also survivor bias
you are scaring me, I am feeling as if I have suddenly found myself on another planet

Last edited:
Its rather like the lyrics to the Gordon Lightfoot song The Patriots Dream:

The songs of the wars are as old as the hills
They cling like the rust on the cold steel that kills
They tell of the boys who went down to the tracks
In a patriotic manner with the cold steel on their backs

The patriot's dream is as old as the sky
It lives in the lust of a cold callous lie
Let's drink to the men who got caught by the chill
Of the patriotic fever and the cold steel that kills

https://genius.com/Gordon-lightfoot-the-patriots-dream-lyrics

wrobel said:
you are scaring me, I am feeling as if I have suddenly found myself on another planet
Sorry. Wasn't my intention at all.
Of course, it was one of the heart warming stories that turned out rather OK in the end, and good for the boy, and little girl, and the family too. And someone in the media picked up on it, but it didn't go far.

Still wondering why no celebrity is mentioned of having yet offered selfless assistance, as is sometimes the case.
Go figure.

What happened in the incident with Heroic Boy Bridger saving his sister from a dog attack?

In July 2020, 6-year-old Bridger Walker from Wyoming heroically saved his 4-year-old sister from being attacked by a German Shepherd mix dog. He put himself in between his sister and the dog, enduring severe injuries to his face and head as a result.

What was the reaction to Heroic Boy Bridger's actions?

Bridger's story quickly gained attention and went viral on social media, with many praising his bravery and selflessness. He received messages of support and admiration from celebrities, including Chris Evans, Anne Hathaway, and Mark Ruffalo. A GoFundMe page was also started to help with Bridger's medical expenses, which raised over $300,000.

How did the dog attack impact Heroic Boy Bridger and his sister?

Bridger had to undergo over 90 stitches on his face and head, as well as surgery to repair damage to his cheek and eyelid. His sister suffered minor injuries. Both siblings are expected to make a full recovery.

What was the dog's fate after the attack?

The dog was put down by its owner after the incident. It was reported that the dog had shown previous aggressive behavior and had attacked another dog before.

What was the significance of Heroic Boy Bridger's actions?

Bridger's actions showed incredible bravery and selflessness at such a young age. His story also shed light on the importance of responsible pet ownership and the potential danger of aggressive dogs. Bridger's heroic act serves as an inspiration to others and a reminder to always stand up for what is right.