1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non Invertable matrix

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dataLet A be an nxn matrix. If A is row equivalent to a matrix B and there is a non-zero column matrix C such that BC=0, prove that A is singular

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solutionIm not quite sure but since B and A are row equivalent than there reduced echelon forms will be the same ? and therefore AC=0 and i was wondering if since A multipliyed by a non zero matrix equals zero does that mean that A in singular?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

AC=0 yes... try a proof by contradiction; assume that A is non-singular and hence invertible...what happens when you multiply both sides of AC=0 by the inverse of A?

4. Nov 4, 2008 #3
    Ok so if you Multiply both sides by Ainverse you would get AinverseAC=Ainverse0, which equals IC=0 which is C=0 and since C is not 0 this is a contradiction and therefore proves A is singular?

5. Nov 4, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Technically, it only proves that the inverse of A does not exist, but there is a theorem that tells you any square matrix is singular iff it has no inverse, so assuming you are allowed to use that theorem, then you've shown A is singular.

6. Nov 4, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What definition are you using for "singular"? Gabbagabbahey seems to be interpreting "singular" as meaning the matrix has determinant 0. I would tend to define "singular" as meaning "non-invertible" but, as gabbagabbahey says, they are equivalent.

7. Nov 4, 2008 #6
    The definition i learned was that singular means non invertable

8. Nov 4, 2008 #7
    Singular means non-invertible, and non-invertible implies that its determinant and the product of its eigenvalues is zero.

9. Nov 4, 2008 #8
    The definition that I learned for a singular matrix A is that A's reduced row echelon form is NOT the identity matrix.

10. Nov 4, 2008 #9
    There are many ways to calculate inverses. Your definition follows with the computation of the inverse of A by doing row operations to [A|I] until it becomes [I|A^-1] (assuming that A is invertible). Another way of calculating inverses is by dividing the cofactor matrix of A transpose by its determinant. Thus, if the determinant is zero, the inverse does not exist.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?