Is A singular if A multiplied by a non-zero matrix equals zero?

• Thread starter mikee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary: In this case, you can try dividing the cofactor matrix by its determinant until one factor cancels out, at which point you have the inverse of A.
mikee

Homework Statement

Let A be an nxn matrix. If A is row equivalent to a matrix B and there is a non-zero column matrix C such that BC=0, prove that A is singular

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not quite sure but since B and A are row equivalent than there reduced echelon forms will be the same ? and therefore AC=0 and i was wondering if since A multipliyed by a non zero matrix equals zero does that mean that A in singular?

Physics news on Phys.org
AC=0 yes... try a proof by contradiction; assume that A is non-singular and hence invertible...what happens when you multiply both sides of AC=0 by the inverse of A?

Ok so if you Multiply both sides by Ainverse you would get AinverseAC=Ainverse0, which equals IC=0 which is C=0 and since C is not 0 this is a contradiction and therefore proves A is singular?

Technically, it only proves that the inverse of A does not exist, but there is a theorem that tells you any square matrix is singular iff it has no inverse, so assuming you are allowed to use that theorem, then you've shown A is singular.

What definition are you using for "singular"? Gabbagabbahey seems to be interpreting "singular" as meaning the matrix has determinant 0. I would tend to define "singular" as meaning "non-invertible" but, as gabbagabbahey says, they are equivalent.

The definition i learned was that singular means non invertable

Singular means non-invertible, and non-invertible implies that its determinant and the product of its eigenvalues is zero.

The definition that I learned for a singular matrix A is that A's reduced row echelon form is NOT the identity matrix.

There are many ways to calculate inverses. Your definition follows with the computation of the inverse of A by doing row operations to [A|I] until it becomes [I|A^-1] (assuming that A is invertible). Another way of calculating inverses is by dividing the cofactor matrix of A transpose by its determinant. Thus, if the determinant is zero, the inverse does not exist.

Last edited:

What is a non-invertible matrix?

A non-invertible matrix, also known as a singular matrix, is a square matrix that does not have an inverse. In other words, the matrix cannot be multiplied by another matrix to produce the identity matrix. This is because there is no unique solution to the system of equations represented by the matrix.

How can I identify if a matrix is non-invertible?

A matrix is non-invertible if its determinant is equal to 0. The determinant is a scalar value that can be calculated from the elements of the matrix. If the determinant is 0, the matrix is non-invertible. Another way to identify a non-invertible matrix is by checking if any of its rows or columns are linearly dependent.

What are the implications of a non-invertible matrix?

A non-invertible matrix has several implications in linear algebra. It means that the system of equations represented by the matrix does not have a unique solution. This can make it difficult to solve problems using the matrix and may require alternative methods. Additionally, a non-invertible matrix cannot be used in certain operations, such as matrix multiplication.

Can a non-invertible matrix be transformed into an invertible matrix?

No, a non-invertible matrix cannot be transformed into an invertible matrix. This is because the inverse of a matrix only exists if the matrix is invertible to begin with. If a matrix is non-invertible, it will remain non-invertible after any transformations.

What are some real-world applications of non-invertible matrices?

Non-invertible matrices have various applications, including in computer graphics, economics, and engineering. In computer graphics, non-invertible matrices can be used to create 3D transformations that distort the shape of an object. In economics, non-invertible matrices can represent systems of equations that do not have a unique solution, such as supply and demand models. In engineering, non-invertible matrices can be used to solve problems involving electrical circuits or fluid dynamics.