Understanding Non-Linear Differential Equations: Definition and Examples

• Thread starter StationZero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Non-linear
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a non-linear differential equation (DE) and how it differs from a linear DE. A linear DE is characterized by a straight line equation, while a non-linear DE involves functions such as parabolas and trigonometric functions. It is also noted that non-linear DEs can involve feedback-dependent effects. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of understanding the basics of DEs before working with more complex equations.
StationZero
Hey gang, how would you specifically define what a non-linear DE is? I mean, what specifically qualifies a DE to be nonlinear, and what does that mean? I am currently working with a team that models brain function as an array of coupled oscillators with complex feedback profiles and I understand the the DE's that are put in the Runge-Kutta solver are nonlinear, but looking at a symbolic equation on a chalkboard, I'm not sure if I could pick out a non-linear ODE from a linear one. Could someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think on what you learned at school. A linear function (really a straight line) is of the form
[itex] y= a\cdot x + b [/itex]
Now a differential equation of the form
[itex] x'(t) = A(t) \cdot x(t) + b(t) \qquad \qquad (*) [/itex]
is a linear differential equation. (Note the dependency on t)

Again back to school, a non-linear function is e.g. a parabola
[itex] y=x^2 [/itex]
Hence, a DE of the form
[itex] x'(t) = x(t)^2 [/itex]
is non-linear.

Summarizing, every DE which could be written in the form (*) is a linear differential equation. All other equations are non-linear.

Note that linear / non-linear has nothing to do with RK solver. But it is true that linear DEs could mostly easily be solved analytically, and therefore a RK solver is not necessary. But it is not true that DEs which are solved by an RK solver are non-linear.

Check also https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=628922

If you have a coupled set of differential equations for some set of functions ##{y_1(t), y_2(t), \dots, y_n(t)}##, the equations are non-linear if any products of these functions or their derivatives appear.

e.g.,

$$y_1(t)^2,~y_{17}(t)y_2(t),~y_3(t)\dot{y}_4(t),~ \ddot{y}_9(t)y_8(t)y_2^{(400)}(t).$$

It is also non-linear if you have a function of one of the y's, e.g.,

$$\sin(y_{27}(t)),~\exp(-y_{12}(t)^2/2).$$

Note that terms such as

$$ty_5(t),~t^2 + y_2(t)$$

are linear as far as the differential equation is concerned. Linear or non-linear in the context of DEs is referring only to the functions you are solving for, not to the variables the function is a function of.

I guess what I am confused about is the notion of non-linear. I understand that squaring the coefficient defining the slope, or cubing it, etc., will lead to a nonlinear solution there, but there is another definition of non-linear, isn't there? One relating to feedback-dependent effects in the solution to the equations, such as the solutions to the Einstein field equations?

Einstein… okay I am not sure what you mean. This guy made definitely some non-linear stuff.

From your initial post I sought you have some problems to determine if an ordinary differential equation is linear or non-linear.

Before you start with some fancy DEs you have to understand what a DE actually is.

I repeat the simplest example again (this is actually a test for students in an oral examination if they got it or not, and believe me 20-25% will fail…)

Solve

[itex] x'(t) = -k \cdot x(t) \, , \qquad x(0)=x^0 [/itex]

What is the solution?

If you are not able to write down the solution immediately forget about Einstein...

Last edited:

1. What is a non-linear differential equation?

A non-linear differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves a dependent variable, its derivatives, and independent variables in a non-linear way. This means that the dependent variable and its derivatives are raised to powers, multiplied, or divided, rather than being in a simple linear relationship.

2. What is the difference between linear and non-linear differential equations?

The main difference between linear and non-linear differential equations is that linear equations have a linear relationship between the dependent variable and its derivatives, while non-linear equations have a non-linear relationship. This means that the solutions to linear equations can be easily determined using algebraic methods, while non-linear equations often require numerical methods to find solutions.

3. Why are non-linear differential equations important?

Non-linear differential equations are important in many areas of science and engineering, as they can model complex systems and phenomena that cannot be described by linear equations. They are used in fields such as physics, biology, economics, and engineering to understand and predict the behavior of dynamic systems.

4. Can you give an example of a non-linear differential equation?

One example of a non-linear differential equation is the Lotka-Volterra equations, which are used to model predator-prey relationships in biology. These equations have non-linear terms that describe how the population of predators and prey interact and change over time.

5. How can non-linear differential equations be solved?

Non-linear differential equations can be solved using various numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. These methods involve breaking down the equation into smaller, simpler steps and using iterative calculations to approximate the solution. In some cases, non-linear equations can also be solved analytically using techniques such as separation of variables or substitution.