1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non Linear Dynamics & Chaos

1. Jul 20, 2007 #1
    I am thinking of taking this as an elective next year (mainly because it sounds cool and I need math credits), but I have no idea of what to expect. Anyone taken a similar course before? What kind of material is covered? Is it interesting/useful?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2007 #2

J77

Needless to say, those 3(4) words cover a lot of topics...

From adding nonlinearities to linear differential equations; to linear stability analysis and local bifurcation theory; to center manifold reduction and normal form analysis; to numerical studies -- integration, continuation; to more global objects, such as, connecting orbits and (un)stable manifolds; to more complicated differential equations and functional analysis.

You'd have to specify the syllabus/group for one to say whether the course worth it or not...

"Nonlinear dynamics and chaos" can be applied to every branch of science -- so, in the end, is most certainly worth it :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?