1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non linear nonhomogenous ODE

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

y' + y = t^2 , y(0) = 6, y'(0)= -6

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

first i tried to seperate variables using y = ux but cant forward on and then i tried undetermined coeff. method. i found homogenous and particular solution but i am not sure about the solution because there is no need to use y'(0)=-6 and i really dont sure can i use this method for the first order ode.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you show me your homogeneous and particular solutions, I'll stand a better chance of telling you what is wrong with them than if I just wildly guess at what you may have done wrong! ;0)
  4. Nov 3, 2008 #3
    x+1 = 0
    x = -1

Yh = c1 e^-x

Yp= K2 x^2 + K1x + K0 and take Yp' and write the Yp and Yp' to the eq'n find K2, K1 and K0

Yp = x^2 - 2x +2

Y = c1 e^-x + x^2 - 2x + 2

there is only c1 and i dont need the second initial value
  5. Nov 3, 2008 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Shouldn't your y's be functions of t instead of x?!

and since y'(t)+y(t)=t^2, y'(0)+y(0)=0 => y'(0)=-y(0) which is consistent with your initial values, and so you can use either of them to find c1.

If on the other hand, you were given y(0)=6 and y'(0)=3, then there would be no solution since these initial conditions are inconsistent with your ODE.

Luckily, your initial conditions are consistent and so your method and solution are correct! :smile:
  6. Nov 3, 2008 #5
    thanks for the help yes u r right it should be t . i dont like t :D
  7. Nov 3, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

t is good for you! :biggrin:

welcome to PF! :smile:
  8. Nov 3, 2008 #7
    thx :D but it confuses my mind :D

by the way any other ways to solve this eq'n?
  9. Nov 3, 2008 #8

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

try "t" with ginseng....that should help your mind out :wink:

....as for other methods, I'm sure there are a few (such as power series solutions) but aside from plugging it into mathematica; this is the easiest way I know of.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?