Solving a Non-Linear Equation: Need Help!

• Thread starter CPL.Luke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Non-linear
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve a non-linear Emden-Fowler equation with initial conditions. One person suggests multiplying by x' and integrating to get a new equation, then making a change of variable and integrating again. This results in a solution of the form x(t)=i sqrt(2E/m) int(erf^-1(alpha t + beta) dt).
CPL.Luke
hey does anybody have any idea how to solve this equation?

E/m= xd^2x/dt^2with initial conditions x=a and dx/dt(a)=0

its non-linear and so I don't have any idea what to do with it, and maple won't give me an answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, it's a tricky Emden-Fowler equation. The only thing I can think of is to multiply by x' and integrate to get

[tex]\frac{1}{2}x^{\prime 2} = \frac{E}{m} \ln{x} + C [/tex]

Now, swap for x from the original equation, i.e.,

[tex]x = \frac{E}{m x^{\prime \prime}}[/tex]

such that

[tex]\frac{1}{2}x^{\prime 2} = \frac{E}{m} \ln{\frac{E}{m x^{\prime \prime}}} + C [/tex]

rearrange to get

[tex]x^{\prime \prime} = A e^{-\frac{m x^{\prime 2}}{2 E}} [/tex]

where A is a constant. Now make the change of variable

[tex]x^{\prime} = i \sqrt{\frac{2 E}{m}} z [/tex]

to get

[tex]i \sqrt{\frac{2E}{m}} z^{\prime} e^{-z^2} = A [/tex]

but of course

[tex]\frac{ d }{dt} erf{(z)} = \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}} z^{\prime} e^{-z^2}[/tex]

so integrating gives you

[tex]erf{(z)} = \alpha t + \beta [/tex]

where alpha and beta are constants that may or may not be complex

So there's a solution of the form

[tex]x(t) = i\sqrt{\frac{2 E}{m}} \int{erf^{-1}{(\alpha t + \beta)} dt}[/tex]

Note: the inverse erf function is integrable -- see this Wolfram page.

Last edited:

Hello! Solving non-linear equations can be tricky, but there are a few methods you can try. One approach is to use numerical methods, such as the Newton-Raphson method or the secant method, to approximate a solution. Another option is to use a graphing calculator or software to plot the equation and visually identify any potential solutions.

Additionally, you can try to simplify the equation by using substitution or rearranging terms. It may also be helpful to review any relevant mathematical concepts or equations that could potentially assist in solving the problem.

I understand that Maple is not giving you an answer, but it may be worth trying a different software or asking a math tutor or instructor for assistance. I hope this helps and good luck with solving your equation!

What is a non-linear equation?

A non-linear equation is an equation in which the highest power of the variable is not 1. This means that the equation cannot be solved using simple algebraic techniques and requires more advanced methods.

Why is solving a non-linear equation challenging?

Solving a non-linear equation is challenging because it involves finding the values of the variable that satisfy the equation, rather than simply finding a single solution. Non-linear equations can also have multiple solutions or no solutions at all, making the process more complex.

What are some methods for solving non-linear equations?

Some methods for solving non-linear equations include graphical methods, substitution, elimination, and the use of calculators or computer software. These methods involve manipulating the equation and using mathematical principles to find the solutions.

How do I know if I have found all the solutions to a non-linear equation?

To know if you have found all the solutions to a non-linear equation, you can check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation. If they satisfy the equation, then they are valid solutions. However, since non-linear equations can have multiple solutions, it's important to check all possible values for the variable.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving non-linear equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving non-linear equations include forgetting to check your solutions, making algebraic errors, and not properly manipulating the equation to isolate the variable. It's also important to carefully consider any restrictions on the variable, such as domain or range limitations.