1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-linear ODE.

  1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    I'm curious about the differential equation which takes the general form of,
    Where C and D are constants. According to mathematica, the answer is:
    [tex] \sqrt{\frac{D}{C}} \tanh{(x \sqrt{CD})}[/tex].
    But I'd like to know how this is done by hand, I was able to do this with separation of variables and finding x, then solving for y, but it was a large waste of time and I'm curious if there is a general way to solve this just as linear ones can be solved.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2008 #2


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper

    no that is why linear equations are nice they are much easier to solve and can always (at least in principle) be solved. It is a simple integration.
  4. Apr 22, 2008 #3
  5. Apr 24, 2008 #4


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    I don't know why you would use the Riccatti equation. This is a simple, separable, first order differential equation. It can be integrated directly. I don't know exactly what gamesguru did or why he considers it a "large waste of time" but it is not difficult. It separates into
    [tex]\frac{dy}{Cy^2+ D}= dx[/itex]
    multiplying on both sides by D, we get
    [tex]\frac{dy}{\frac{C}{D}y^2+ 1}= Ddx[/tex]
    Now, what we do depends upon the signs of C and D. If C and D have opposite signs so that C/D is negative, write the equation as
    [tex]\frac{dy}{1- \left|\frac{C}{D}}\right|y^2}= Ddx[/tex]
    and let [itex]u= \sqrt{|C/D|}[/itex]. Then the equation becomes
    [tex]\sqrt{|C/D|}\frac{du}{u^2+ 1}= Ddt[/tex]
    and the solution is exactly what gamesguru said.

    If C and D have the same sign, let u= [itex]\sqrt{C/D}y[/itex] so that the equation becomes
    [tex]\sqrt{\frac{D}{C}}\frac{du}{u^2+ 1}= Ddt[/tex]
    and integrating gives the same thing with "tan" rather than "tanh".
  6. Apr 24, 2008 #5


    User Avatar

    Shouldn't it be:
    \frac{dy}{D-Cy^2}= dx
    The answer changes, but the method is the same.
  7. Apr 24, 2008 #6
    Yes, but he wanted to know if there was a way to do it without separation of variables.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Similar Discussions: Non-linear ODE.
  1. Non-linear ODE's (Replies: 2)

  2. Non-linear ODE (Replies: 3)

  3. Non linear ODE (Replies: 8)