Solving Non-linear Problem for x between 0 and L

• Thread starter JulieK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Non-linear
In summary, you are asking for a solution to a differential equation that is based on arbitrary assumptions about the potential between A and B and the electrical behaviour of the wire.
JulieK
Assume we have a straight piece of wire with two end points [itex]A[/itex] and
[itex]B[/itex] and with length [itex]L[/itex] where [itex]x_{A}=0[/itex] and [itex]x_{B}=L[/itex]. The wire
has non-ohmic resistance and hence the current is not proportional
to the potential difference, i.e. [itex]\left(V_{A}-V_{B}\right)[/itex]. In
fact the current is a function of the voltage at [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex], that
is [itex]I=f\left(V_{A},V_{B}\right)[/itex].

I know [itex]f[/itex] and hence I know the current. However, I do not know [itex]V[/itex]
as a function of [itex]x[/itex] [itex]\left(0<x<L\right)[/itex]. I tried several mathematical
tricks, mainly from the calculus of variation, trying to find [itex]V\left(x\right)[/itex]
but I did not get a sensible result. Can anyone suggest a method
(whether from the calculus of variation or other branches of mathematics)
to solve this problem and obtain [itex]V\left(x\right)[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
From the mathematical side, your given functions/values say nothing about V(x) apart from x=a and x=b. Physics limits V(x) to be between V(a) and V(b) (unless you have some external connections to the wire), but nothing else. You need more assumptions about the potential to get V(x). Do you expect a linear shape of the voltage?

I assume the following hypothetical situation hoping this may bring us closer to the solution although it is not realistic.

Let's assume that the radius of this exceptional wire at any point x is proportional to the voltage at that point, that is the radius expands proportionally to the voltage. I am thinking of a possible balance relation that could be exploited to find the optimal V(x) which satisfies this relation and the two boundary conditions, as well as f. Can we find a solution from this extra condition?

If you change the voltage, the wire changes its diameter? ;)
that is the radius expands proportionally to the voltage
The voltage relative to what? Voltage needs a reference point to be meaningful for a point in the circuit.

You can set up a differential equation for basically any assumption you like, and solve it (if it is not too complicated), sure.

"The voltage relative to what?"
To the same reference voltage to which [itex]V_A[/itex] and [itex]V_B[/itex] are defined.

"You can set up a differential equation for basically any assumption you like, and solve it (if it is not too complicated), sure. "
Can you suggest a form for this differential equation?

Hi !
The general solution, only based on the first wording, is :
V(x) = Va +(f(x)-f(xa))(Vb-Va)/(f(xb)-f(xa))
V(x) = Va +(f(x)-f(0))(Vb-Va)/(f(L)-f(0))
where f(x) is any continuous function.
You cannot determine what kind of function f(x) is without a descriptive physical model for the electrical behaviour from A to B.

Last edited:
JulieK said:
To the same reference voltage to which [itex]V_A[/itex] and [itex]V_B[/itex] are defined.
The problem is that this definition is arbitrary as well.

Can you suggest a form for this differential equation?
As soon as I understand what you actually want, sure.

As I is constant, the equation should look like ##\frac{dV}{dx}=I R(V,x)## where R(V,x) is the differential resistance (resistance per length) of the wire.

1. What is a non-linear problem?

A non-linear problem is a mathematical problem where the relationship between the input and output variables is not linear. This means that the output is not directly proportional to the input, and there may be complex interactions between the variables.

2. How do you solve a non-linear problem for x between 0 and L?

The most common approach to solving non-linear problems for a specific range of values, such as x between 0 and L, is to use numerical methods. These methods involve approximating the solution by dividing the range into smaller intervals and using iterative calculations to approach the exact solution.

3. What are some common techniques for solving non-linear problems?

Some common techniques for solving non-linear problems include gradient descent, Newton's method, and the secant method. These methods use iterative calculations to approach the solution, and their effectiveness depends on the specific problem being solved.

4. What challenges are involved in solving non-linear problems for x between 0 and L?

Solving non-linear problems for a specific range of values can be challenging because the solution may vary significantly depending on the starting point or initial guess. This can lead to convergence issues and make it difficult to find an accurate solution.

5. How important is it to understand non-linear problems in scientific research?

Understanding non-linear problems is crucial in scientific research because many real-world phenomena are best described by non-linear relationships. Being able to solve non-linear problems allows scientists to model and predict complex systems accurately, leading to advancements in various fields such as physics, biology, and engineering.