1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non linear second order DE

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I must solve [itex]yy''-(y')^2-6xy^2=0[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I reach something but this doesn't satisfy the original DE...
    Here is my work:
    I divide the DE by [itex]y^2[/itex] to get the new DE [itex]\frac{y''}{y}- \left ( \frac{y'}{y} \right ) ^2-6x=0[/itex]. Now I notice that [itex]\left ( \frac{y'}{y} \right )'=\frac{y''}{y}-1[/itex] so that the DE to solve reduces to [itex]\left ( \frac{y'}{y} \right )'- \left ( \frac{y'}{y} \right ) ^2+1-6x=0[/itex].
    This suggests me to call a new variable [itex]v=\frac{y'}{y}[/itex]. Thus the DE to solve reduces to [itex]v'-v^2+1-6x=0[/itex]. It is separable so I'm extremely lucky. I reach that [itex]\ln y = \int (3x^2+c_1)dx+c_2 \Rightarrow y(x)=e^{x^3+c_1x}+c_2[/itex].
    Hence [itex]y'=(3x^2+c_1)e^{x^3+c_1x}[/itex] and [itex]6xe^{x^3+c_1x}+(3x^2+c_1)^2e^{x^3+c_1x}[/itex]. Plugging these into the original DE doesn't reduces to 0.
    What did I do wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]\displaystyle \left(\frac{y'}{y} \right )'=\frac{y''}{y}-(y')^2[/itex]

Added in Edit:

As pointed out by fluiistic in the following post: The above is wrong. It should be the following.

[itex]\displaystyle \left(\frac{y'}{y} \right )'=\frac{y''}{y}-\left(\frac{y'}{y}\right)^2[/itex]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  4. Oct 9, 2011 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ah I see! Thanks for pointing this to me. I think you forgot to divide by y^2 the second term.

Edit: I now reach the result, namely [itex]y(x)=Ae^{3x^2+c_1x}[/itex] (this work). Thank you very much!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook