1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non - Linear Statistics.

1. Jul 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, the problem that I am struggling with is getting an appropriate method to produce non - linear line of regression when the data follows non - linear pattern.

2. Relevant equations

Would it be appropriate to use Newton's interpolating polynomial or Lagrange's polynomial at such circumstances? (one could select the most appropriate data points and then construct a polynomial using either method). Perhaps there are other methods that could be in this situation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No one has responded, so I'll take a shot. There are lots of options to choose from after you decide a regression line won't do the job, and the option to use would depend on your data. Besides using power functions or polynomials (including the two you mentioned), other options are exponential functions or logarithmic functions. Many spreadsheets, such as Excel, have this functionality, and let you choose which type to use.

4. Jul 15, 2009 #3
    Mark44, thank You for your response. I have came across the fact that excel can produce various functions for the data, however, I was unable to find the expression of such functions in the excel, and therefore I am unable to extrapolate the data. Perhaps there is something i do not know about excel?

Regards,
    Cygni.

5. Jul 15, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There is the LOGEST function in Excel that can be used to fit your data to a curve of the form y = bmx. There is also LINEST, which you can use to fit your data to y = mx + b, a straight line. I thought I remembered Excel having other functions of this type, but I don't see them in my copy of Excel 2007.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook