Non-Linear Water Waves: Exploring Properties & Characteristics

In summary, The speaker is studying non-linearity properties of hydrodynamic waves from a mathematical perspective, specifically focusing on radiation, modulational instability, and spatial instabilities and chaos. They are also interested in using Hamiltonian structures to analyze spatially quasi-periodic capillary-gravity waves. The speaker is considering the use of stochastic calculus to study the random and chaotic behavior of wave propagation and is treating it as an inverse scattering transform on a non-linear partial differential equation.
i_emanuel
Cheers

I am currently studying non-linearity properties of hydrodynamic waves from a purely mathematical stance. At the moment, I am concerned with radiation, modulational instability described by korteweg-De Vries equation (fifth order) and Spatial Instabilities and chaos in a high order hamiltonian algebra. These characteristics of radiating wave tails that propagate outwards in what seems to be a chaotic manner are my concern. I am elaborating my analysis to focus primarily on the characteristics of Spatially quasi-periodic capillary-gravity waves using the Hamiltonian structures which describes the degeneracy of the water-wave problem.

With this in mind, my observations ideas consist of a 'turbulent flow' of incompressible fluids traveling through a differentiable manifold and experiencing a Reynold Stress on it's surface (vorticity is key),

How can I adapt a system of 'eddies' in flux with stochastic calculus (brownian motion). e.g: If I were to study a batch of wave propagation in a free surface, Is it possible for me to derive a system that can equally predict and forecast the random and chaotic behavior of it's sub-atomic particles? Dissipation at the Quantum Level comes to mind.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I wasn't explicit enough, but now I've succesfully solved my own troubles; I am treating this as an Inverse Scattering Transform on a non linear homogenous partial diff. with respect to frequency

What are non-linear water waves?

Non-linear water waves are waves that exhibit complex behavior due to interactions between their amplitude and wavelength. They are often seen in ocean waves, tsunamis, and even in a cup of coffee.

What properties do non-linear water waves have?

Non-linear water waves have several properties, including dispersion, refraction, diffraction, and breaking. Dispersion refers to the spreading out of wave energy as it travels, while refraction is the bending of waves as they encounter different depths of water. Diffraction is the bending of waves around obstacles, and breaking occurs when the wave height becomes too steep, causing it to collapse.

How are non-linear water waves different from linear water waves?

Linear water waves have a simple sinusoidal shape, while non-linear water waves have a more complex shape due to their interactions between amplitude and wavelength. Linear water waves also do not exhibit breaking, while non-linear water waves can.

What are some characteristics of non-linear water waves?

Non-linear water waves can have varying heights and shapes, making them difficult to predict. They also have the ability to transport large amounts of energy over long distances, making them a significant force in the ocean.

How do scientists study non-linear water waves?

Scientists use mathematical models, laboratory experiments, and field observations to study non-linear water waves. These methods allow them to understand the properties and characteristics of these waves and make predictions about their behavior in different environments.