Proving Non-linear Wave Equation for Riemann Tensor

In summary, you are trying to find a way to get the Riemann tensor into the correct form, but you are not sure what to do. You need to use the fact that the Ricci tensor vanishes, and then manipulate the commutators of covariant derivatives to get the correct form.
dman12
Hello,

I am working through Hughston and Tod "An introduction to General Relativity" and have gotten stuck on their exercise [7.7] which asks to prove the following non- linear wave equation for the Riemann tensor in an empty space:

eeRabcd = 2Raedf Rbecf − 2Raecf Rbedf − Rabef Rcdef

I have started from the Bianchi identity:

Rabcd;e + Rabec;d + Rabde;c = 0

To give:

ee Rabcd = -∇ed Rabec - ∇ec Rabde

But I don't know what to do to get the RHS into the correct form. Do I use the fact that we are considering empty space such that the Ricci tensor vanishes, Rab = 0 ?

Any help on how to prove this relation would be very much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting. If you're told to prove it in empty space, then clearly you're going to need the fact that the Ricci tensor vanishes.

It seems sensible to imagine that you might need the Bianchi identity at some point, since you're differentiating the Riemann tensor, but this looks to me more like something you'd do for simplification at the very end.

None of the possible ingredients you've suggested so far will result in a curvature polynomial of the form R...R...

The only method of attack that I can think of would be to write out the Riemann tensor in terms of the Christoffel symbols. I'm sure this would work, but I imagine it would be really, really ugly.

You could go to Riemann normal coordinates, which might simplify things somewhat.

I am with bcrowell on this one, you do not have enough information to efficiently create your proof. Look back and see what you can find that may help, otherwise we can not help you much more than that.

dman12 said:
I have started from the Bianchi identity:

Rabcd;e + Rabec;d + Rabde;c = 0

To give:

ee Rabcd = -∇ed Rabec - ∇ec Rabde

But I don't know what to do to get the RHS into the correct form. Do I use the fact that we are considering empty space such that the Ricci tensor vanishes, Rab = 0 ?

Any help on how to prove this relation would be very much appreciated!

This is the right place to start. Now manipulate the RHS of that to give expressions with commutators of covariant derivatives, ##[\nabla_a, \nabla_b]##. Finally, use the fact that the commutator of covariant derivatives gives you a Riemann tensor:

$$[\nabla_a, \nabla_b] V^c = R^c{}_{dab} V^d,$$
etc.

Likes bcrowell

1. What is the Riemann Tensor and why is it important in physics?

The Riemann Tensor is a mathematical object that describes the curvature of space-time in Einstein's theory of General Relativity. It is important in physics because it allows us to understand how gravity affects the fabric of space-time, and is essential in making accurate predictions about the behavior of massive objects.

2. What is a non-linear wave equation and how does it differ from a linear wave equation?

A wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a wave in a given medium. A linear wave equation is a type of wave equation where the sum of two solutions is also a solution. A non-linear wave equation, on the other hand, does not follow this rule and often leads to more complex and unpredictable behavior.

3. How is the Riemann Tensor related to the non-linear wave equation?

In Einstein's theory of General Relativity, the Riemann Tensor appears in the non-linear wave equation that describes the behavior of gravitational waves. The presence of the Riemann Tensor in the equation allows for the non-linear effects of gravity to be taken into account, resulting in a more accurate model of the behavior of these waves.

4. What is the process for proving the non-linear wave equation for the Riemann Tensor?

The proof involves using the mathematical tools of differential geometry and tensor calculus to manipulate the equations of General Relativity and arrive at the non-linear wave equation for the Riemann Tensor. This process involves complex mathematical calculations and is typically done by experts in the field of General Relativity.

5. What are the implications of proving the non-linear wave equation for the Riemann Tensor?

The implications are significant as it provides a more accurate understanding of the behavior of gravitational waves, which are predicted by General Relativity. This can lead to further advancements in the study of gravity and potentially new insights into the nature of space and time.