Non-Logical Logic

• Thread starter kanzure
  • Start date
i think of logic as being a box or a restraint on thinking. eveyone knows that phrase: think outside the box. you must realise that there is no box, then your mind will be free to all possibilities. our minds would fulfill their potionals becuase with this we will not automatically elimate the illogical sloutions and ideas, but our lives don't even make sense. how are we to say that logic is what can only exist if our very being is not?

plover
Homework Helper
Wouldn't the question be resolved formally something like:

If 1 and 3 have their usual definitions as numbers and = has it's usual meaning of indicating numerical equality, then
1 = 3​
is a well-formed statement whose truth-value can be determined (i.e. it's false).

Non-well-formed statements (given the usual meanings for the symbols being used) would be things like:
  • 1 =
  • 3 5 + %
that have no definable meaning within the symbol system, so no truth value can be determined for them. (Note: these particular sequences could have meaning in some symbol system, but in the system known as 'arithmetic', as it is commonly defined, they do not.)

Does anyone know what entities formal logic actually applies the word 'logical' to? My impression is that the word actually refers to inferences, not to statements. Statements are merely well-formed or not.