Can You Spell Out the Order of a Suit with This Playing Card Trick?

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary, there is a trick with playing cards where you can spell out the word ACE and the ace card will end up on top of the deck. This also works for the rest of the cards in order. It is not technically a card trick, but a fun game my parents showed me when I was a child. There are also variations in different languages such as French and Dutch.
Jimmy Snyder
Here is something I learned as a child. I was just reminded of it and so I present it here. It is a little trick you can do with playing cards, but I don't know how to catagorize it.

Take all the cards of one suit and order them face down as follows:

3 8 7 A Q 6 4 2 J K 10 9 5

It might be easier to order them face up in the opposite order. Take the top card and put it on the bottom while saying "A", now the 8 will be on top and 3 on the bottom. Take the top card and put it on the bottom while saying "C". Now the 7 will be on top and the 8 on the bottom. Next take the top card and put on the bottom while saying "E". In other words, you spell out the word ACE and the Ace will be on the top of the deck. Turn it face up and remove it from the deck while saying Ace.

As you can easily see from the position of the 2 card that when you have spelled out "two", it will be on top and you can turn it face up and remove it from the deck. In fact as you spell out three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, jack, queen, and king, all of the cards will fall out in order.

It's not really a card trick, but my parents delighted me with it when I was a small child.

Physics news on Phys.org
Neat!
Do you have the French version?

Funny! :smile:

I worked out the French version:
3 D A 5 7 R V 2 6 4 10 9 8

And while I'm at it, the Dutch version:
3 7 10 A 6 V 4 B 2 H 8 5 9

21 minutes ... speechless...awesome.....

I would say that this is not a card trick in the traditional sense, but rather a memorization technique. By associating each letter in the word "ACE" with a specific card in the deck, one is able to easily remember the order of the cards in a suit. This can be a fun and engaging way for children to practice their memory skills and learn the order of a suit in a deck of cards. However, it is important to note that this method may not work for all individuals and there are other techniques that can be used to remember the order of a suit in a deck of cards. It is always important to encourage critical thinking and experimentation when learning new skills or tricks.

What is a "Non-magic card non-trick"?

A "Non-magic card non-trick" is a term used to describe a type of card trick that does not involve any sleight of hand or manipulation. It relies solely on the use of regular playing cards and does not require any special props or gimmicks.

How is a "Non-magic card non-trick" different from traditional magic tricks?

Unlike traditional magic tricks that often use elaborate props or illusions, a "Non-magic card non-trick" focuses on the skillful use and manipulation of regular playing cards. It does not rely on any gimmicks or special effects, making it a more accessible form of magic for beginners.

What are some examples of "Non-magic card non-tricks"?

Some examples of "Non-magic card non-tricks" include the classic "pick a card, any card" routine, where the performer is able to correctly guess a chosen card from a deck, and the "rising card" trick, where a selected card mysteriously rises to the top of the deck after being placed in the middle.

Do "Non-magic card non-tricks" require any special skills or training?

While some "Non-magic card non-tricks" may require a certain level of dexterity or practice, they do not require any special skills or training. With enough practice and dedication, anyone can learn and perform these tricks.

Can "Non-magic card non-tricks" be performed for large audiences?

Yes, "Non-magic card non-tricks" can be performed for large audiences, as they do not require any specialized equipment or setup. However, the size of the audience may affect the effectiveness of the trick, as smaller groups allow for more intimate interactions and audience participation.