Discussing Non-Mainstream Physics on Physics Forums

In summary, In non-mainstream physics, forums like Physics Forums are not appropriate places to discuss personal theories, speculative theories, or theories that go beyond mainstream science.
Dillion Harper
Hello people,
I'm really interested in non-mainstream physics but so far i can't find a place./forum where i can discuss or share theories. I've tried doing it in the Quantum Physics section, but my thread was rejected because personal theory developments are not allowed here. So far it's ok, but since I'm new to this forum (yes, i read the guidelines), could you please tell me where i can discuss these kind of topics and is this possible somewhere in Physics Forums.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dillion Harper said:
(yes, i read the guidelines)
guidelines said:
Speculative or Personal Theories:
Physics Forums is not intended as an alternative to the usual professional venues for discussion and review of new ideas, e.g. personal contacts, conferences, and peer review before publication. If you have a new theory or idea, this is not the place to look for feedback on it or help in developing it.

Non-mainstream theories:
Generally, in the forums we do not allow the following:
  • Discussion of theories that appear only on personal web sites, self-published books, etc.
  • Challenges to mainstream theories (relativity, the Big Bang, etc.) that go beyond current professional discussion
  • Attempts to promote or resuscitate theories that have been discredited or superseded (e.g. Lorentz ether theory); this does not exclude discussion of those theories in a purely historical context
  • Personal theories or speculations that go beyond or counter to generally-accepted science
  • Mixing science and religion, e.g. using religious doctrines in support of scientific arguments or vice versa.
  • Philosophical discussions are permitted only at the discretion of the mentors and may be deleted or closed without warning or appeal
Dillion Harper said:
is this possible somewhere in Physics Forums.
Doesn't look like it.

Likes Borg
I think there are two senses in the phrase "non-mainstream physics":
1) crackpot theories
2) absolutely legal theories that lie beyond the field of interest for the substantial part of the community
I do not think that admins will fight against the second one

Last edited:
zwierz said:
I do not think that admins will fight against the second one

Bad advice. Very bad advice. No crackpot thinks "I have a crackpot theory!". Telling them that it's OK to post that here is bad advice.

Likes EnumaElish and fresh_42
perhaps you are right

Dillion Harper said:
Hello people,
I'm really interested in non-mainstream physics but so far i can't find a place./forum where i can discuss or share theories. I've tried doing it in the Quantum Physics section, but my thread was rejected because personal theory developments are not allowed here. So far it's ok, but since I'm new to this forum (yes, i read the guidelines), could you please tell me where i can discuss these kind of topics and is this possible somewhere in Physics Forums.

Nowhere. You have found the wrong forum if that is your sole intention. The PF Rules are very clear and explicit about this.

Zz.

Likes EnumaElish
So you guys are telling me that, there is no forum on the internet that allows discussion of non-mainstream physics?

P.S. I wasn't asking only about PF sections

There's nowhere on PF. We can't speak for the entire internet.

Likes EnumaElish
Dillion Harper said:
So you guys are telling me that, there is no forum on the internet that allows discussion of non-mainstream physics?

P.S. I wasn't asking only about PF sections

First, I would go to a website called Google, then type the following into the box in the middle of the screen: On the Fringe Alternative Theories revolutionary physics, alternative medicine, creationism/intelligent design and more

Or, you can copy and paste it, as that's a lot of typing.

Then push the [Google Search] button on the screen, or push the [enter/return] key on your keyboard, which ever is more convenient.

Then click on the first link displayed and, Voila!

Likes fresh_42
There are plenty of free-for-all forums where any theory can be proposed. I'm sure an online search will link to many of that type. One can always have one's own free blog or even one's own domain name. Anyone can start their own forum. There are even forums or personal websites which are on a rampage against actual science, in favor of crank science.

In my opinion, PF stands against all this junk. I think there is great value in having at least one popular forum where the rule is to stick to mainstream science, meaning science which has been validated by the scientific method. That's why I was so happy to stumble across this forum. Add the fact they do not tolerate abusive posts, and you have a great forum. So I hope PF never changes.

Of course some may reply that yesterday's fringe science is today's mainstream science. In some cases that is true. However, in order to graduate from fringe science to mainstream science, there is a process that must be followed

Sometimes this is a long and difficult process. I remember for example reading years ago, when I was still a student, about Ovshinsky and his struggles to find acceptance for his work on amorphous semiconductors. That story really impressed me and stuck in my mind. He finally had to go to Japan to find some support. This technology ended up making lots of money for Japan. The truth did win in the end.

Another great story is the biologist Barbara McClintock, one of my favorites of all time, because she not only battled against her intellectual inferiors in high places, but against sexism as well. But she did triumph in the end.

Why did they win? Because in science we don't just argue about the truth, we actually have a method for discovering the truth. That is the difference between science and religion. You can't win against religious fanatics because they live in their own fantasy world. We would be living in a nightmare world if the religious fanatics ruled over us. So we must keep science pure at all costs, which means strict adherence to the scientific method.

In addition to the threat from religious fanaticism, there are many crackpots and outright money-grubbing frauds. We need to protect science from those types as well.

Also, lots of students go on PF. They need to learn mainstream science, not fringe theories.

One other point. We should never fall for the Galileo Fallacy. "Galileo was persecuted. Galileo turned out to be right. I am persecuted. Therefore, I will turn out to be right." That is a logical fallacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great advice everyone, good luck!

1. Why is it important to discuss non-mainstream physics on Physics Forums?

It is important to discuss non-mainstream physics on Physics Forums because it allows for the exploration and consideration of alternative theories and ideas. This can lead to new insights and advancements in the field of physics.

2. Is it acceptable to challenge mainstream physics on Physics Forums?

Yes, it is acceptable to challenge mainstream physics on Physics Forums as long as the discussion remains respectful and adheres to the forum's guidelines. Challenging mainstream ideas can lead to a deeper understanding of the subject matter and foster critical thinking.

3. How can we differentiate between credible and non-credible non-mainstream theories on Physics Forums?

Differentiating between credible and non-credible non-mainstream theories can be challenging, but it is important to consider factors such as the evidence and reasoning behind the theory, the qualifications and credibility of the individual proposing the theory, and whether it aligns with established scientific principles.

4. Are there any risks to discussing non-mainstream physics on Physics Forums?

There are potential risks to discussing non-mainstream physics on Physics Forums, such as the spread of misinformation or the promotion of pseudoscience. It is important to approach these discussions with a critical and open mind, and to always consider the evidence and scientific principles behind any theories being presented.

5. How can we maintain a respectful and productive discussion when discussing non-mainstream physics on Physics Forums?

To maintain a respectful and productive discussion when discussing non-mainstream physics on Physics Forums, it is important to refrain from personal attacks and instead focus on the evidence and ideas being presented. It is also important to listen to and consider opposing viewpoints, as this can lead to a more well-rounded and informed discussion.