Non-mchanical Auto Steering

In summary: You'd just need to have a back-up system in case of a power outage.In summary, a concept car using drive by wire steering eliminates the need for a traditional steering wheel and eliminates the emissions from the passengers or horse. There are concerns about reliability, but it is possible.
teroenza
Hello all,
With all-electric car designs becoming more popular, I was wondering if it was really necessary to have all that mechanical linkage in the front of an automobile to steer. Assuming independent electric motors for each wheel, and drive-by-wire technology, a simple alteration in wheel speed for the wheels on one side of the car could steer it (like tanks and their treads). Wheel speed, steering wheel input, and other data could easily be processed and made into a steering system. Has anyone seen any concept cars like this, or designs promising such a system? Can anyone think of major drawbacks?

Thank you

::: I'm not sure if this should be in Elec. or Mech. engineering forums, I apologize if it is incorrectly labeled.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sure that electronic control would take care of a lot of the problems but, when you get down to it, deflecting the wheels on one axle (usually the front) has just got to be a good way to produce a lateral force to turn the car with minimal scuffing of the tyres. Your suggestion is rather like steering a tank, which works fine at low speed and, I'm sure, has some advantages but I don't think you could complete a Formula One course quickly in a vehicle with 'tank' steering.

I suppose reliability is the concern, though that may be hype when compared to mechanical linkages. I don't know that a mechanical linkage is necessarily more reliable.

From the Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_by_wire

Steer by Wire

This is currently used in electric forklifts and stockpickers and some tractors[1]. Its implementation in road vehicles is limited by concerns over reliability although it has been demonstrated in several concept vehicles such as ThyssenKrupp Presta Steering's Mercedes-Benz Unimog, General Motors' Hy-wire and Sequel and the Mazda Ryuga. A rear wheel SbW system by Delphi called Quadrasteer is used on some pickup trucks but has had limited commercial success.
Competitors in the DARPA Grand Challenge, an automated driving competition, relied on 100% DbW systems, in some cases including a SbW system provided by the manufacturer [2].
This is not to be confused with Electric Power Steering.

The Wiki is misleading regarding the DARPA contest. Most, if not all, of those vehicles used an electric servo motor attached to the stock mechanical steering linkage. Only one of the DARPA vehicles in the final had real drive by wire (Stanford, the winner), and that was limited to only the throttle.

One of the major advantages of drive by wire steering is the elimination of the steering wheel. No more: body - steering wheel impacts in a crash, steering wheel adjustment for the driver, visual impairment of the instrument panel, etc.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iiCrFp89hU

Attachments

• RMI_hypercar.gif
    RMI_hypercar.gif
    58.2 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:
with enuff time and money anything is possible..don't forget that the " power steering" we now have will work even if the fluid is completely gone..safety concern..if you went total electric you need a back up system...Toyota just got severe head aches with electric throttle control
..now you want t o make steering electric??
production costs and after market service is a factor..what alignment shop will have software to properly align the wheels if you ding a control arm on a curb? take it back to a dealership?
we just cut out 50 percent of the dealerships in the country last year..
keep it simple..

Ranger Mike said:
keep it simple..
Like this?

[PLAIN]http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gamadis2/images/horse_and_buggy.jpe

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your relies. I love the James May clip.

mheslep said:
Like this?

[PLAIN]http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gamadis2/images/horse_and_buggy.jpe[/QUOTE]

Not sure that would pass emissions tests

mgb_phys said:
Not sure that would pass emissions tests
Emissions from passengers or the horse?

mheslep said:
Emissions from passengers or the horse?
I don't think the horse's tailpipe emissions would pass 'aircare'

close to perfection..now i can get home on auto pilot when i enjoy too many adult beverages at local watering hole...head for the barn, Ned..giddiapp

government will get you one way or another!

Not even remotely a chance that i'd be driving a car without a mechanical linkage, it's not just the point of the electric connection failing (as you can have multiple redundancies), what if your altenator fails and you run out of battery. At least you can still steer with a mechanical linkage.

Also there is every chance that people will kill themselves at any sort of speed by not having any feel for the steering what so ever. You may not think it, but you'd be so surprised at just how much information you receive subconsiously through the little vibrations and weighting of the steering wheel. The tyre let's you know when it's about to break free and lose it's grip, you can't have that with no physical connection between the steering wheel and road wheels.EDIT: It's cartainly possible though. If you were so inclined you could drive a car with a playstation controller. The actual physics of it are pretty simple.

xxChrisxx said:
Not even remotely a chance that i'd be driving a car without a mechanical linkage, it's not just the point of the electric connection failing (as you can have multiple redundancies), what if your altenator fails and you run out of battery. At least you can still steer with a mechanical linkage.

Also there is every chance that people will kill themselves at any sort of speed by not having any feel for the steering what so ever. You may not think it, but you'd be so surprised at just how much information you receive subconsiously through the little vibrations and weighting of the steering wheel. The tyre let's you know when it's about to break free and lose it's grip, you can't have that with no physical connection between the steering wheel and road wheels.

EDIT: It's cartainly possible though. If you were so inclined you could drive a car with a playstation controller. The actual physics of it are pretty simple.

Several years ago I read an article about the future car design. One of the concepts brought up was active suspension. The suspension system could detect variations in the road surface and actively move the wheels to compensate. The idea was that you could "dial in" your ride.

During test drives, when the system was put in full active mode as to give the smoothest possible ride, the drivers complained that they lost a feel for the road, which they found disconcerting.

xxChrisxx said:
Oh no! Someone tell this guy to eject!

f16_4.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-16_Fighting_Falcon#Flight_controls

Seriously, we're already past the point of direct mechanical control for many car drivers. If the power steering fails then many females or the frail are unable to control the vehicle in all conditions.

I agree with you on the importance of steering feedback, but some of that comes back to the driver through the chassis outside of the steering column. That is, even a passenger receives some feel for the road. Also, artificial feedback can flow to electric steering controls, just as it is now in aircraft stalls. Not that these points mean the problem is solved, but seems to indicate is solvable.

Some current mech steering http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/07/29/business/main6724183.shtml":
The Avalons recalled in the U.S. range from the 2000 model year through to 2004 and have improper casting of the steering lock bar - the component that locks the steering wheel when the vehicle is shut off - that can cause a crack to form on the surface.

Over time, the crack can expand, which can cause the steering wheel to become difficult to unlock when stationary. In some circumstances, the problem can cause the steering wheel to lock up during driving, Toyota said.

Three unconfirmed accidents with no injuries have been reported because of the problem, Toyota said.

Janus said:
During test drives, when the system was put in full active mode as to give the smoothest possible ride, the drivers complained that they lost a feel for the road, which they found disconcerting.
Probably because they tested it with enthusiasts or track drivers - not suburban minivan drivers.
By the same standard nobody would have introduced automatic transmissions.

mheslep said:
Oh no! Someone tell this guy to eject!

Very droll, point is if the **** hits the fan he CAN eject.

mheslep said:
Seriously, we're already past the point of direct mechanical control for many car drivers. If the power steering fails then many females or the frail are unable to control the vehicle in all conditions.

You can build massive factors of safety into the mehanical components, just like you can can build backups and redundancies into the electrical system. Either way being a car nut and a mechanical engineer, I like large lumps of metal and not electrickary.

EDIT: I'd also like to comment on power steering. I find that tends to deaden the feedback,. Especially in Puntos with the girly steering button on, the wheel just feels dead (im fairly sure you aren't suposed to drive above 15mph with it on, as it gives lolwobble moments). Give me no power steering on a quick rack any day, just don't ask me to parallel park!

mheslep said:
I agree with you on the importance of steering feedback, but some of that comes back to the driver through the chassis outside of the steering column.

Chassis = rear wheels, steering wheel = front wheels. That's how I can tell what's doing what. I can gaurantee you in a front wheel drive car having a wheel that is like driving in the arcades will be scary as hell when you push on.

There's also no way to replicate the direct transimssion of what the wheel is doing. If you are driving on low profile tyres, that will tend to 'snap' rather than give up their grip gradually then no atrificial feedback will let you know that.

mheslep said:
That is, even a passenger receives some feel for the road. Also, artificial feedback can flow to electric steering controls, just as it is now in aircraft stalls. Not that these points mean the problem is solved, but seems to indicate is solvable.

They have a system on the playstation, logitech G25 iirc. It's the closest thing to real life driving with GT5, the steering wheel weights up as you turn it, it also has pedal feel. As close as it is, it's just not the same as wheel - metal link - tyre - road.

Last edited:
xxChrisxx said:
You can build massive factors of safety into the mehanical components, just like you can can build backups and redundancies into the electrical system.
No, not like electrical systems. In mechanical systems you generally get cascading mass and damping multipliers when you add either strength or redundancy safety factors, which in turn increases cost and impacts the performance of the overall system. For example, and grossly oversimplifying: stronger (or redundant) mechanical tie rods add mass to the steering assembly which requires stronger mechanical tie rods which ...

Either way being a car nut and a mechanical engineer, I like large lumps of metal and not electrickary.
Fair enough

What is non-mechanical auto steering?

Non-mechanical auto steering refers to the use of electronic, hydraulic, or electro-hydraulic systems to control the steering of a vehicle, rather than traditional mechanical systems such as a steering wheel and steering column.

How does non-mechanical auto steering work?

Non-mechanical auto steering systems use sensors, processors, and actuators to interpret driver input and adjust the steering of the vehicle accordingly. This can include features such as adaptive steering, lane keeping assistance, and self-parking capabilities.

What are the benefits of non-mechanical auto steering?

Non-mechanical auto steering can improve the handling and safety of a vehicle by providing more precise and responsive steering. It can also reduce driver fatigue and make driving easier, especially in heavy traffic or on long trips.

Are there any drawbacks to non-mechanical auto steering?

One potential drawback of non-mechanical auto steering is the reliance on electronic and computer systems, which can be more prone to malfunctions or failures. Additionally, some drivers may prefer the traditional feel of mechanical steering.

Is non-mechanical auto steering available in all vehicles?

Non-mechanical auto steering is becoming increasingly common in new vehicles, but it is not yet available in all models. It may also be offered as an optional feature rather than a standard one. It is important to check with the manufacturer or dealership for availability in specific vehicles.