Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Non-Newtonian Limit Einstein Field Equations

1. Dec 16, 2017 #1
    What do I have to do if I want the EFE's to approximate a weak gravitational field, where for example, an inversely proportional to the cube ( ##1 / r^3## ) of the distance law between the masses applies?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

What should go as ##1/r^3##? This is not really a question of GR, it is a question of the solutions to the Laplace equation, which depends on the number of dimensions. For example, to get a potential that goes as ##\sim 1/r^3## you would need to add two additional spatial dimensions.

4. Dec 16, 2017 #3
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean, I want to begin with a non-Newtonian law of universal gravitation let's say: ## F = GMm/r^3 ## then find a curved spacetime (5 + 1 dimensions) to approximate this law in weak gravitational fields.

Can I do the same for 3+1 dimensions?

5. Dec 16, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

In 5+1 dimensions the potential goes as ##1/r^3##. In 3+1 dimensions the potential goes as ##1/r##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted