Help Needed: 4-Digit Combination for Non-Profit Safe

• Thread starter PAHH
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding all possible combinations for a 4-digit safe combination with four dirty and well-used keys (2, 5, 8, and 7). The conversation also addresses the concern of being perceived as a burglar and the potential for a longer combination if the keys are not equally worn.
PAHH
Hello all:
This may be the only question I ever ask here, so pardon if I posted in wrong forum.

I work for Habitat for Humanity, a non-profit 501(c) (3) org. A local business donated an open floor safe without a combination. We could really use this safe in our office. The manufacturer no longer has the master combination and want over $500 to come out to fix. We can't afford that, but from looking at the keypad, there are 4 numbers that look dirty and well used. Those numbers are: 2587

Can anyone provide me a list of all the number combinations possible for those four numbers?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Does one of the keys look much more worn/dirty than the other three? If they are all equally worn, maybe you are lucky, and there are only 10,000 combinations to try.

If you start with 2, next digit can be 5, 7 or 8:

In each case there are only two digits left and they can be in two different orders. Repeat for 5 (followed by 2, 7, 8), 7 (followed by 2, 5 8) and 8 (you should see the pattern now).

That is, assuming combination is four digits. If it is longer it will be more complicated.

turbo-1 said:
Does one of the keys look much more worn/dirty than the other three? If they are all equally worn, maybe you are lucky, and there are only 10,000 combinations to try.

Thanks for response. As I said: "but from looking at the keypad, there are 4 numbers that look dirty and well used. Those numbers are: 2587."

Much appreciated

Surprising, how similar to some homeworks this question is...

turbo-1 said:
Oops! :redface: Silly me.

Not that many possible combos when there are only 4 keys in a 4-number combo. WAY not.

Borek said:
Surprising, how similar to some homeworks this question is...

Thanks Borek, but no one has "carded" me in over a decade. I also have gray hair for all that's worth, but if you are afraid of providing an answer, that's fine. Actually, my concern was not being perceived as a snot nosed child, but as a burgler. I assure you, I am as I stated.

Let's pretend the worn keys are "1", "2", "3", and "4" and that they are equally worn and dirty. Best-case means that you have a 4-digit combination. If the combo starts with "1", you can have:

That's 6 possible sequences. If you substitute "2", "3" and "4" for the "1" and write down those combinations, it's a pretty short list.

What is the purpose of the non-profit safe?

The non-profit safe is used to securely store important documents, valuables, and funds for the non-profit organization.

How many digits is the combination for the safe?

The combination for the safe is 4 digits long.

How can I obtain the combination for the safe?

To obtain the combination for the safe, you will need to contact the designated person in charge of the safe, such as the executive director or treasurer of the non-profit organization.

Is the combination for the safe changed regularly?

Yes, for security purposes, the combination for the safe is changed regularly. It is important to keep the combination confidential and only share it with authorized individuals.

What should I do if I forget the combination for the safe?

If you forget the combination for the safe, you will need to contact the designated person in charge of the safe. They may be able to reset the combination or provide you with a new one.