Non-research LORs (2 out of 3)

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
In summary, when it comes to getting letters of recommendation, it is preferable to get them from a professor you did research with. However, for some people, this may not be possible and they may need to get recommendations from other professors. These recommendations can come from classes where the student did well, even if they didn't have a lot of interaction with the professor. Alternatively, they could seek recommendations from professors they have a good relationship with, even if they didn't do as well in their courses. The preferred option, however, is to get recommendations from professors who think the student is exceptional, whether it be through grades or other qualities. It is important for the recommendation to go beyond just stating the student's grades and to highlight their exceptional
Simfish
Gold Member
Of course, it's preferable that you get your LORs from a prof you did research with.

But many people can only get one LOR from research. They still need two other LORs.

Of course, those LORs can preferably come from classes where the student did well in. Okay, like, there was one class where I got a 4.0 in, and where my grade was a clear outlier compared to those of everyone else. But I didn't talk to the professor much, and there will be a 2 year-gap between my taking the class and my asking for a recommendation. (although the professor is one of the contributing authors of the famous Cosmic Variance blog - she doesn't have much time for chatting though). There are other professors who I probably fraternize better with, even though they taught classes where my grade didn't swamp the grades of everyone else. Anyways, I really LIKE planetary science, and can chat with professors on hours about it. But I didn't do exceptionally well in those planetary science courses (3.7 in one of them - didn't do better since I was intensely focused on harder classes and was too complacent for midterm [though final was among top scores in class], 3.6 in a grad-lvl planetary atmospheres one). The professors in those courses are also quite famous (one's a member of the National Academy of Sciences), and they seem to have more time for chatting.

Alternatively, one could seek for LORs from professors who one didn't even take a class in.

So what is the preferred option? You should seek LORs from professors who think that you're exceptional. But it's hard to demonstrate that you're exceptional in a class, unless your grade swamps the grades of everyone else (and that can be said in one sentence), in which case a 4.0 doesn't just say enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
LORs shouldn't just say that you did well in class, I guess it would be great if you could get them from professors who would say your exceptional even if you didn't get the highest grades, that's what I'm doing, i got letters from professors who would explain my lower GPA in some areas

What is a non-research LOR?

A non-research LOR is a letter of recommendation that is not related to academic or scientific research. It is typically written by someone who knows the applicant in a personal or professional setting, such as a supervisor, mentor, or colleague.

Why are non-research LORs important?

Non-research LORs provide insight into an applicant's character, work ethic, and potential for success in a non-academic or non-scientific setting. They can also provide a different perspective on the applicant's skills and abilities, which can strengthen their overall application.

Can non-research LORs be used for all types of applications?

Yes, non-research LORs can be used for a variety of applications, such as graduate school, job applications, or scholarship applications. However, it is important to check the specific requirements of each application to ensure that non-research LORs are accepted.

What should be included in a non-research LOR?

A non-research LOR should include specific examples of the applicant's strengths, skills, and accomplishments. It should also provide a clear and honest assessment of the applicant's character and potential for success in a non-academic or non-scientific setting.

Who should write a non-research LOR?

A non-research LOR should be written by someone who knows the applicant well and can speak to their personal and professional qualities. This could include a supervisor, mentor, colleague, or community leader. It is important to choose someone who can provide a strong and positive recommendation for the applicant.