1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-Scale Terminology Query

  1. Feb 28, 2016 #1
    I understand there's a term (which I can no longer recall) for the kind of modelling that cannot accurately scale an item in all its ratios. A classic example are those standard images one sees of the solar system. One might get the distances between the planets right, but unless a room the size of a small country is available, one will be hard pushed to visually reproduce the diameters of the planets themselves to the same scale. The identical problem also applies to the subatomic world. I have tried googling an answer, but keep drawing a blank. Perhaps there is no such term. My memory, though, tells me otherwise, but refuses to divulge the answer. Non-scale modelling? The logarithmic scale? I'm really guessing now.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2016 #2


    Staff: Mentor

    What comes to mind to me is semi-log and log-log graphs. Not sure if this is what you're looking for.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook