Non-Science Podcasts: Documentary & 60 Minutes-Type

• Thread starter Jamison Lahman
  • Start date
In summary: Bandersnatch that the medium can limit the complexity of the content that can be explored. However, I think there are some great science podcasts out there that explore more complex concepts. For example, Waking Up is a great podcast that is politically leaning, but the interviews are always well thought out and challenging.
Jamison Lahman
I don't particularly enjoy Physics podcasts. Most science podcasts I've been subscribed to are just current science news podcasts I find extremely boring. I do enjoy Radio Lab and Hound and Tall by Moshe Kasher which are kinda like 60 Minutes. I also enjoy 60 Minutes podcasts lol. I like the longer/documentary podcasts.

Are there any science documentary podcasts anyone listens to?

Also, what non-science podcasts do members listen to?

Physics news on Phys.org
•HI (Hello Internet)
•Cortex
•Wakiping Up (Warning: somewhat political and science related )
•No Dumb Questions
•Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

These are currently my favorite non-science podcasts which I listen to on a regular basis. I'm on the opposite side of the fence as of now, I'm looking for esoteric physics/mathematics podcasts to listen to. Can't seem to find any decent ones. Recommendations are much appreciated.

Likes Jamison Lahman
VuIcan said:
These are currently my favorite non-science podcasts which I listen to on a regular basis. I'm on the opposite side of the fence as of now, I'm looking for esoteric physics/mathematics podcasts to listen to. Can't seem to find any decent ones. Recommendations are much appreciated.
I wonder if there are any colloquium podcasts. While at University, one of my favorite things was going to see visiting professors talk about their work. The presentations were about an hour which would be perfect for a podcast. I don't know of anything like that, but if anyone else knows, I'd be interested!

Jamison Lahman said:
I wonder if there are any colloquium podcasts. While at University, one of my favorite things was going to see visiting professors talk about their work. The presentations were about an hour which would be perfect for a podcast. I don't know of anything like that, but if anyone else knows, I'd be interested!
Not really a podcast, but a youtube series - you could conceivably listen just to the audio, but would be often missing much without being able to see the graphs; Anyway, CfA Colloquim is a series of presentations of astronomy-related research:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCApHNlZLkxmiV95A0ChueYg
You can listen in all the gory detail to what people are actively working on.

Another video series in a similar vein is the series of lectures given at Gresham College in London available from here:
https://www.gresham.ac.uk/
or on youtube.
These are much more easily digestible in pure audio form, as they're aimed at the general audience. The subjects are leaning heavily towards humanities, though, but not exclusively.Regarding non-science podcasts, I second Sam Harris' Waking Up - whether you do or don't like his political leanings, his views and the interviews he's conducting are always very well structured and though out.

Likes Jamison Lahman
Jamison Lahman said:

Not a podcast, but the Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting posts videos of symposium talks from their annual meetings: http://www.mediatheque.lindau-nobel.org/videos/lectures

They have quite an extensive archive, with some talks back to the 1950s.

Likes Jamison Lahman
Bandersnatch said:
Regarding non-science podcasts, I second Sam Harris' Waking Up - whether you do or don't like his political leanings, his views and the interviews he's conducting are always very well structured and though out.

Totally agree, he's very good at asking challenging questions and genuinely puts effort into probing the subject at hand with the interviewee. A very intellectually stimulating podcast to say the least.

Most podcasters are extensionists. So it's easy science. I do not know who is talking about complicated things. :smile:

Here's my pretty huge collection of history podcasts:
https://plus.google.com/collection/sMdpQB

Other than that, the ones you mentioned plus Neil Degrasse Tyson (Startalk), American Life, lots of BBC stuff.

Actually, the In Our Time podcasts, those specific to science, are really good, because you have 3 or 4 scholars in a room having a very well moderated conversation on a specific topic, i.e. "Enzymes" or "Cells" or "photosynthesis"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01gyd7j

Likes Jamison Lahman and Bandersnatch
stramina said:
Most podcasters are extensionists. So it's easy science. I do not know who is talking about complicated things. :smile:
I think this is a reflection of the medium. As @Bandersnatch put it, "you could conceivably listen just to the audio, but would be often missing much without being able to see the graphs." However, I will say I have few YouTube channels, such as Numberphile, that are automatically converted to video podcasts that I mostly listen to but can watch if need.

dkotschessaa said:
Other than that, the ones you mentioned plus Neil Degrasse Tyson (Startalk), American Life, lots of BBC stuff.

Actually, the In Our Time podcasts, those specific to science, are really good, because you have 3 or 4 scholars in a room having a very well moderated conversation on a specific topic, i.e. "Enzymes" or "Cells" or "photosynthesis"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01gyd7j
For some reason, I find BBC to be a great podcast provider. Two of my favorites are:
Friday Night Comedy: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02pc9pj/episodes/downloads.rss
The Documentary: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/worldservice/docarchive/rss.xmlI will definitely check out this Sam Harris podcast. I love the Joe Rogan podcast because he has on guest that perfectly align with my own views and then the next guest is completely counter and I find I enjoy those discussions the most.

stramina said:
Not quite sure what you mean by extensionists, Perhaps you should elucidate? Do you mean that they unnecessarily try to spawn content from oblivion to tack on a few minutes onto the episode?

1. What makes a podcast a "non-science" podcast?

A non-science podcast typically focuses on topics that are not related to scientific research or exploration. These could include current events, history, pop culture, or personal stories.

2. What is the difference between a documentary podcast and a 60 Minutes-type podcast?

A documentary podcast is usually longer and more in-depth, exploring a particular topic or theme in detail. A 60 Minutes-type podcast, on the other hand, typically covers multiple shorter stories or segments in each episode.

3. Are these types of podcasts reliable sources of information?

It depends on the specific podcast and its sources. Some documentary and 60 Minutes-type podcasts are rigorously researched and fact-checked, while others may rely on personal anecdotes or opinions. It's important to evaluate the credibility of each podcast and its sources before accepting the information as fact.

4. Can non-science podcasts still be educational?

Absolutely! Non-science podcasts can offer valuable insights and information on a wide range of topics. They can also help listeners develop critical thinking skills and broaden their perspectives.

5. What are some popular non-science podcasts to listen to?

Some popular non-science podcasts include "This American Life," "Serial," "Radiolab," "Stuff You Should Know," and "Freakonomics Radio." However, there are many other great podcasts out there, so it's worth exploring different genres and topics to find what interests you.