1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-standard calculus (infinitesimals)

1. Jan 24, 2005 #1
    Compute the standard part of this, please:
    [tex]\frac{ \sqrt{H+1}}{ \sqrt{2H} + \sqrt{H-1}}[/tex], where H is positive infinite.

It probably should be some algebra trick I'm not familar with.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2005 #2
    infinite can't divided by infinite... your question doesn't make sense at all
    I think what you meant was.....
    [tex] \lim_{H \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sqrt{H+1}}{\sqrt{2H}+\sqrt{H-1}} [/tex]

hints:
    for a very large [itex] H [/itex], you can assume [itex] \sqrt{H+1}= \sqrt{H} [/itex]

4. Jan 24, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, vincent, he meant what he said. As the title said, this is "non-standard analysis" in which we have both infinite numbers and infinitesmals. (H is a positive infinite number.)

However, the result will be exactly the same as the lim as H-> infinity.

And, yes, it is true that for "infinite" H, H+1= H, H-1= H. This is exactly the same as
    [tex]\frac{\sqrt{H}}{\sqrt{2H}+\sqrt{H}}= \frac{\sqrt{H}}{(\sqrt{2}+1)\sqrt{H}}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}+1}[/tex]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  5. Jan 24, 2005 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One algebra trick, it so happens, is exactly the same as standard analysis: divide the numerator and denominator by the "highest power" of H... in this case, it's 1/2.

That's incorrect: H+1 is never equal to H for any hyperreal, even the unlimited ones. (I think unlimited is the preferred term, over infinite or transfinite)

The unlimited hyperreals don't act like cardinal numbers -- they act like real numbers, in a very real sense. (Pun intended)

However, H/(H+1) would be a limited (aka finite) number with standard part 1, so that could be used fruitfully in this example, by replacing (H+1) with H * ((H+1) / H).

6. Jan 25, 2005 #5
    Ahh I see! It's really just a beginner calculus book, although it used infinitesimals.

7. Jan 25, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ah! Thanks for clearing up my error, Hurkyl. An expert on non-standard analysis I'm not. (I'm barely competent on STANDARD analysis!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?