1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-Steady State Diffusion

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Non-Steady State Diffusion

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a steel alloy below, it has been determined that a carburizing heat treatment of 10 hr duration will raise the carbon concentration to 0.45%. Estimate the time necessary to achieve the same concentration at a point 5.0 mm position for an identical steel and at the same carburizing temperature.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Have not picked on what to do but I am currently still manipulating the formula of non-steady state diffusion. So if I can get push in the right direction, that would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2
    Never mind guys I got it. Didnt know one could manipulate the erf function as I did.

4. Sep 20, 2008 #3
    Re: [SOLVED] Non-Steady State Diffusion

I have the same problem and am completely stuck. I know that the coefficient of diffusion and Concentration values are equal between the two situations... but am completely at a loss of how to manipulate the equation to determine the time.

.. need a little push.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?