Non-Stick Pots & Pans: Pros & Cons

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: Cast iron is a great option for those that want a good workout while cooking, as you must constantly be moving the pan to prevent it from sticking. However, because of its weight and the fact that it is harder to clean, it may not be the best option for everyone.
Physics news on Phys.org
Use seasoned cast iron. It's not an issue then.

I don't understand people that think a splash of oil when cooking something makes food dreadfully unhealthy.

Apparently, it is not about the oil but the PTFE (Teflon) coating which tends to break-up at high temperatures releasing potentially toxic by-products. The safest cookwares are the ones made of glass or ceramic.

Reshma said:
Apparently, it is not about the oil but the PTFE (Teflon) coating which tends to break-up at high temperatures releasing potentially toxic by-products. The safest cookwares are the ones made of glass or ceramic.

I know that. My point was that cast iron pans have no coating and when seasoned are basically non stick anyway.

They are far easier to cook with too.

The downside of cast iron is regulary emphasized here.

Weight. Heavy.

The older pans that hve the non-stick flaking off might not be good to use. The newer ones don't flake, also Evo Child was given a set of green pans, and OMG, I love them. The slipperiest pans and they contain no PTFE/PFOA. I read mixed reviews about them, so I was very skeptical, but they're the best pans I've ever used.

Andre said:

Weight. Heavy.

Yet another bonus. You get a nice workout everytime you cook.

Try to explain that to some people.

I have been trying to talk my 89 year old mom to dump the flaky pans, so i think cast iron ones are out, they would be to heavy for her.

In that case some sort of anodised aluminium would be good.
Light, with a hard surface. Not as non stick as PTFE coated pans.

Only lasts a few years before becoming rubbish.

The non stick pans are such a scam they don't last as long as you'll eventually end up eating flakes of the stuff in your dinner... And they are harder to clean! Because you can't scrub as ruff on them plus some things just don't non stick. It's a joke really they take a perfectly good pan and spray it with crud that makes you have to toss it before you even get 1/2 the use out of it you normally would. If your having problems with your pan not getting clean just try cleaning it sooner cause if you don't wait days to clean pans they are generally very easy to clean imo.

Evo said:
The older pans that hve the non-stick flaking off might not be good to use. The newer ones don't flake, also Evo Child was given a set of green pans, and OMG, I love them. The slipperiest pans and they contain no PTFE/PFOA. I read mixed reviews about them, so I was very skeptical, but they're the best pans I've ever used.
That's what I need. I bought one of those non-PTFE pan and it lasted less than a year before it started flaking off whatever it uses.

Andre said:

Weight. Heavy.

But, you need to explicitly state the real hazzard. It's potentially "heavy weight" wielded by "angry wife".

Nonstick pans are great, but they do have their limitations. When using a nonstick pan you should never use very high heat, it will cause the nonstick surface to degrade. If you need a good sear (high heat) try using either cast iron or stainless steel. Never never never use metal utensils in a nonstick pan (i.e. using a fork to scrape the food out). Use a non-metal spatula instead.

Also, don't buy the cheapo $5 pans from walmart. No matter how hard you try, they will start flaking months after use. Cough up the extra money for a quality brand and the nonstick will last for a long time.

stevenb said:
But, you need to explicitly state the real hazzard. It's potentially "heavy weight" wielded by "angry wife".

My mom all ways threatened us with the rolling pin. :!)

xxChrisxx said:
They are far easier to cook with too.

Also much harder to clean.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Also much harder to clean.

To be blunt, you're doing wrong then. A well seasoned pan is cleaned with just water, if cleaned when warm it just requires a wipe/mild scrub and it's done.

I'm going to stop now, becuase I am stating to sound like a gay cast iron fanboy.

They're extremely toxic for birds : (

Andre said:

Weight. Heavy.

Workout. Good.

Ugga...

As for cleaning, I simply hit my my cast iron pans with warm watter and a plastic scrubbee. A quick rinse in hot water, dried with a towel, and it's better than ever.

There are some things I'll never cook in my cast iron pan, though, as they tend to stick like there's no tomorrow, eggs being chief among them.

My wife and I have a set of Calphalon One Non-Stick, which is hard-anodized aluminum with some "special polymer" in there. They work well, and have a lifetime warrantee. Pretty much nothing can stick to the coating, which I love.

I flip omelettes in my cast iron pans, and I'm not very muscular; in fact, I have especially weak wrists. The weight is not an issue, but you have to be aware of body mechanics. I don't use my wrist to flip omelettes; I hold my wrist straight, and use my upper arm and shoulder. And with the big 10-lb dutch oven, just got to remember to lift with your legs, not with your back, etc.

Eggs never stick for me. Just use a little butter, and they slide around like they're on ice. What sticks like crazy is rice. I don't think I'll do that again.

xxChrisxx said:
To be blunt, you're doing wrong then. A well seasoned pan is cleaned with just water, if cleaned when warm it just requires a wipe/mild scrub and it's done.

I'm going to stop now, becuase I am stating to sound like a gay cast iron fanboy.

You must not be burning your food often enough.

Dupont admits that the teflon pans will kill pet birds. I wonder if it affects a developing fetus.

Ben Niehoff said:
I flip omelettes in my cast iron pans,...
I've always wonder how they (TV food cooks) flip things in skillets to mix the ingredients. Every time I try, I loose most of it.

Mech_Engineer said:
My wife and I have a set of Calphalon One Non-Stick, which is hard-anodized aluminum with some "special polymer" in there. They work well, and have a lifetime warrantee. Pretty much nothing can stick to the coating, which I love.

I think I know the ones you're talking about...they got good reviews on Amazon. But of course I take the opinion of one PFer far more seriously than dozens of commoner's opinions, so thanks :approve:!

lisab said:
I think I know the ones you're talking about...they got good reviews on Amazon. But of course I take the opinion of one PFer far more seriously than dozens of commoner's opinions, so thanks :approve:!
I have Calphalon and like it a lot, but I've been using the Evo Child's Green Pans and they blow away any pan I've ever used, and I hate anything "Green". I was ready to hate these pans. I *wanted* to hate these pans. I love them.

You can actually brown and sear in these pans the same as in stainless steel, but the food just slips out.

http://www.green-pan.com/

Evo said:
I have Calphalon and like it a lot, but I've been using the Evo Child's Green Pans and they blow away any pan I've ever used, and I hate anything "Green". I was ready to hate these pans. I *wanted* to hate these pans. I love them.

You can actually brown and sear in these pans the same as in stainless steel, but the food just slips out.

http://www.green-pan.com/

I'll definitely check those out :cool:!

(I'm totally with you on the "green" thing...marketing, sigh :rolleyes:)

lisab said:
I'll definitely check those out :cool:!

(I'm totally with you on the "green" thing...marketing, sigh :rolleyes:)

OK. The verdict is in: the "Green Pan" is awesome! I bought one several weeks ago, and tonight bought another one (a wok :!)).

Thanks for the tip, Evo!

Even with nonstick pans, a small amount of oil should be applied prior to cooking with them.

I use cast iron for most of my cooking, and have gotten quite a collection, most for free as people who don't want them or know how to care of them simply get rid of them.

Quite a few of mine are virtually nonstick with the usage they've gotten.

Plus side, never suffer from iron deficiency anemia.

Mech_Engineer said:

We have the same set and are pretty impressed. They work very well.

lisab said:
OK. The verdict is in: the "Green Pan" is awesome! I bought one several weeks ago, and tonight bought another one (a wok :!)).

Thanks for the tip, Evo!
Glad you tried them! I'm amazed at how great these pans are. The Thermolon mineral coating is far superior to teflon. You can cook at high heat, brown, sear & crisp your food and then it just slides out of the pan. No poisonous fumes.

I'm going to be adding to the set.

Non-stick pans work well if you take care of them. Never use any metal spoons or forks to stir the food in them. You scrap the non-stick off them.
You should also leave a coating of oil on them when you put them in the press.

I don't personally have the patience... But my parents do that and theirs pans still work as well as the first day they bought them.

What are non-stick pots and pans?

Non-stick pots and pans are cookware that have a special coating that prevents food from sticking to the surface. This coating is typically made of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) or ceramic materials.

What are the pros of using non-stick pots and pans?

- Non-stick coating makes cooking and cleaning easier and faster.- Food slides off easily without the need for excessive oil or butter.- Non-stick cookware is generally more affordable compared to other types of cookware.- The non-stick coating is resistant to scratches and wear, making it more durable.- Non-stick pots and pans are lightweight and easy to handle.

What are the cons of using non-stick pots and pans?

- The non-stick coating can release toxic fumes when heated at high temperatures.- The coating can wear off over time, especially with frequent use and harsh scrubbing.- Non-stick cookware is not suitable for high-heat cooking methods.- Some studies suggest that the chemicals used in non-stick coating may have negative health effects.

Are there any alternatives to non-stick pots and pans?

Yes, there are alternative cookware options such as stainless steel, cast iron, and ceramic cookware. These do not have a non-stick coating, but can still provide a non-stick cooking surface when properly seasoned and maintained.

How should I care for my non-stick pots and pans?

To prolong the lifespan of your non-stick cookware, avoid using metal utensils or harsh scrubbing pads. Instead, use wooden or silicone utensils and a soft sponge. It is also recommended to hand wash your non-stick cookware rather than putting it in the dishwasher. Additionally, avoid using high heat when cooking with non-stick pots and pans to prevent damage to the coating.